Cat Dealer

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ready2truck, Apr 7, 2021.

1. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    :):)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Doealex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    On the threads? Bolt seized and they broke the head off?

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That kind of thing is common on bolts in A/C aluminum parts. Wonder if the factory uses anti seize?

5. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020

6. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020

7. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    A steel bolt in aluminum is notorious for freezing up after a few years or even months especially where moisture is concerned.
    One way to break it free before you break it off is to heat it, but a lotta tech’s don’t take the time or don’t know. But if you think they were lying I really don’t think so.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The corrosion would be down inside the threads. More than likely enough to seize the threads up but not enough to actually see until the bolt was out (stripped threads and all).

I doubt it was overtightened. Aluminum is soft and more than likely it would have torn the threads out before the head snapped off.

That's the nature of the game unfortunately. Stuff breaks. Aluminum and steel is a stupid combination. The odds are good that bolt would have snapped regardless of who worked on it or what shop you took it to. I don't really see it being fair for the shop having to eat that cost.

9. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    What your saying makes since but I was at the a/c shop today with my other truck same year make and model with 10 times the milage and they took that bolt off with out snapping it.

If a guy is spending close to 10k at my shop and my tech snaps a bolt off a 100 dollar condenser the customer would've never knew it happened.

10. ready2truck

Oct 27, 2020
    And the story changed. First I was told the condenser was cracked on the corner where you mount it and it's leaking at the crack.
    When I ask him to send me pictures the story changed. If I didn't ask for pictures I would've never knew I'd been lied to.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its hit or miss. I've snapped the heads off bolts with a quick blip of the impact, other times I've hammered on them with no issue. Anti-seize is always a must with 2 dissimilar metals in contact.

black_dog106 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.