Caterpillar 3406 b c mechanical with fass

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 2006gmcdmax, Feb 21, 2019.

1. 2006gmcdmax

2006gmcdmax Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2018
    anyone ever ran a fass fuel system on a full mechanical motor, and took the transfer pump off completely? Does 45 psi to injection pump sound correct? Fass makes a puMp that will make 2-100 psi. I was thinking about scraping transfer pump, and hand primer. I want to leave the filter on the driver side of motor and taking fuel water filter off and putting my fass in its place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Why would you want to rely on an electric add on for a work truck, you won’t be able to source parts or replacements on the road.

If your stock pump is working correctly then you should have no issues especially if it is maintaining pressure.

Oxbow and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  4. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    From what I understand Fass is very effective on mechanical engines. Don't believe it is intended to replace your fuel pump though, it's just to enhance it.

A buddy of mine has one on a Cat BXS and I can tell you fist hand that it has failed and left him stranded on top of the Kosciuszko Bridge in NYC. We got it home and assembled a fuel line to bypass the Fass to pinpoint the problem. It was a some electric motor on the Fass. In case it happened again he carries the bypass hose on the truck and it's a good thing because the same thing happened some time later but, he saved a tow bill by installing the bypass hose we made.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I've thought about putting one on my e model cat but that sort of situation is what I'm afraid of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.