Caught on cam using phone at zero tolerance company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TankerYanker36, Jul 17, 2022.

1. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Just a guess
    But I’m not sure any company would want data stored for long
    I’m sure they get a break on insurance for having them but they also could get hung by a lawyer if their recording were looked at and the lawyer seen something happening for months that should have been addressed by the company but wasn’t

My $$ is on the insurance discount and getting footage erased asap

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For the purposes of insurance. There are only two types of carriers. Regardless of if they are local, regional, or OTR. Carriers that pay for insurance and carriers that self-underwrite and use an insurance company for admin purposes only. As a company driver, you may see an insurance card in your permit book that has Mutual of Dogpatch on it, but that does NOT mean that the insurance carrier is underwriting the carrier you are driving for. Insurance is part of the problem with cameras but not all. Where insurance is a part of it is twofold. First as said above, a carrier, not self-underwriting can get a discount for using those cameras, but the last part is the truly insidious part. Insurance companies finance safety groups studying the stats from ALL accidents. This is why when you buy a policy today for your POV they will ask you a series of questions about how the vehicle is equipped and will quote you a rate based on what you say. As for the wonderful world of trucking? I am NOT smiling as I type this. I am also not attempting to be funny. In a few years before a driver can actually operate a CMV. They will have to attach something to their body, OR sensors will be incorporated into the steering wheel. As they are today cameras will be on you. These sensors may be able to pick up your core body temp and things like your blood pressure.

My now Son in Law and I was having a conversation about my Dexcom CGM a while back. I have told him about things like I wrote just now. As Dexcom improves these patches this opens up a world of uses. These patches use Bluetooth to communicate to a device like my iPhone to track my blood sugar. "Ricky", said Mike, what if in 20 or so years something like this had to be worn by the driver to even start a truck. I agreed, that right now these patches can detect blood sugar, what happens later on if they can detect things like alcohol or prohibited drugs?

NO, I am not high on dope this morning. I am just pointing out that insurance and governments are funding all of this kind of "safety" research into not only CMVs but ALL vehicles. The carriers regardless of their size are caught in the middle. These cameras are really only a preview of coming attractions.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think there is zero possibility the footage won't be viewed. These systems and the network connections are not cheap. Because of this expensive system it will be used. Also, anyone that has driven a truck knows that the most consistent feature of every car and SUV on the road is that they do dangerous maneuvers right in front of the truck EVERY SINGLE DAY YOU DRIVE. EVERYONE's first comment when riding in a truck, in traffic, for the first time is how dangerous the 4-wheelers behave. Eventually the behavior of the 4-wheelers will become one of the most stressful parts of your day and it will be stressful every day you drive.

5. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Inquiring minds wanna know how it went today

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Even if the company has cameras , get your own dashcam too

because the company will NOT let you access or see the footage from their cameras , ever .

7. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Best advice anyone can give. Be honest, own your mistake, and don’t make excuses.

8. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Update: Well here's the sad and idiotic update on my part guys. Thanks for all your comments.

I ened up not being termed although i was supposed to have been. Because they thought highly of me they gave me another chance. They placed me on a suspension. After coming back ofcorse I vowed to never make that mistake again. Which I didn't.
    Except only two weeks after coming back, I was making a delivery at a station, and mistakingly loaded one of my regular gas compartments into the customer's premium tank.

Here's where my mind was at when I did it:

First, at this station, it's different from the rest because the connections are all far apart. I usually use double hoses to unload, but at this station I had to single hose. Single hoses always throw me off.

Secondly, my attention wasn't fully there because I recently learned that I have to take a trip out of town soon, so while I was waiting for each compartment to finish unloading, I was going on my phone and looking up flight tickets. (There is goes again)

The load was all going smooth except when I unloaded the last compartment.

I was supposed to disconnect the hose from the ground and move it over to the other fill hole, then switch over the hose on my trailer.

But because I usually double hose, I usually don't have to do that.

Well missing that one small step just caused me world of mess.

To finish up the story up quickly they placed me on a paid leave pending a meeting with management and human resources.

Usually this is not a cause for termination because many other drivers have done this, but given my situation just coming back from a suspension, it's looking very likely I'll be terminated. I know I deserve it but I'm hoping for the tiny chance to stay on.

I've already put in other applications to hopefully get a ball rolling before my scheduled meeting.

Knowing how serious it is and how much stress these type of mistakes cause, I definitely never repeat these mistakes. But at a job like this, there's no room for mistakes so close together in a time frame. So hopefully I can get on to another company because I know I've learned from these mistakes.

But yeah it sucks big time.

9. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Hopefully youve learned to stay off the phone while working. Thats twice now youve gotten yourself in trouble on the phone

10. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Exactly.

11. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    You're owning your mistakes, that's half the battle. Now you have to stop making them, which is the more difficult half. You're learning at least, so hopefully you'll move forward with your current employer, or with another who is willing to offer you the opportunity to correct these errors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.