Caution Prospective Independent O/O! My Embarrassment.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Oct 20, 2017.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Basically I only have to drive now. They dispatch me so I don’t have to constantly worry about logistics, ####### brokers who are the scum of the earth always acting like your killing them, $12k a year in insurance and I drive in a month what I was doing per week. My fuel is minimal due to being local, I know the roads so can avoid the tolls, etc. running at 25% of my pay is for expenses on average. It’s what works for me and I’m not killing myself.

Don’t even get me started on shippers and receivers and that nonsense with making you sit because you got stuck in traffic but don’t show up early because we won’t take you.

Express12$ and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  2. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @jdilliplane1 So you went INTRA-state? Im curious what your insurance (monthly) changed now that you are leased on.

I was gonna get leased on and when I looked that the $ for leased on ($250/wk) and pushy dispatchers (who may not respect my desired schedule) versus getting my own MC @ $350/wk insurance and flexibility, I'm opting for my own MC.

I'm not too worried about brokers, since I like to dance and we can dance all day if they want, or they can cut the crap, and pay up to move their load, before end of day. I'll be willing to take more when they get desperate.

I find it interesting you went the other way round.

3. jdilliplane1

Oct 6, 2016
    Basically I pay nothing for insurance now. I’m under their authority.. my bobtail is about $100/month for when I’m not under a load. Don’t have to pay for parking, etc. my monthly expenses decreased by about $2k a month. I know what has to be fixed on my truck as time goes on and just budget for it.

4. jdilliplane1

Oct 6, 2016
    I’m also still interstate because I live in Philadelphia so we run Jersey, Delaware, and NY.

5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Cool. But what are you giving up WHEN UNDER LOAD? dollar-wise i.e. opportunity cost

You have to take an apples-to-apples comparison (not $12K/yr with MC versus $1,200/yr Bobtail)

6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I didn't read all of this but thanks for sharing OP. I had to raise rates also...after looking over everything. It was either that or...well that. So I raised them and the phone rings less but enough!

A little chart I made and have in front of me always!

PA pike=.54 per mile @356 miles@ $192.47

NY thruway=.24 per mile @355 miles @ $82.45

Ohio pike=.16 per mile @241 miles @ $39.00

Mass Pike=.19 per mile @135 miles @ $26.95

+$17.00 for bridges.

Tappan Zee=$32.75

G.W.=$90.00

W.V. pike=$17.48 total.

Indiana Pike=.27 @155 miles @ $43.00

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A couple of months ago I went up 84 to the Mass pike and got on for the short stretch to 495. It had been several years since I had been up that way. Imagine my surprise there were no toll booths anywhere accepting cash. It's EZ Pass only. I don't have EZ Pass. I keep expecting a bill in the mail but haven't seen it yet. I hate that states are going cashless on toll roads. They waste so much money so ridiculously in so many other ways I doubt they save a nickel from this.

Sirscrapntruckalot and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    It could be an environmental incentive. The less that people stop and start, the less emissions going into the air and less fuel spent.

9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I am seeing a lot of bad lights on state routes get replaced with circles! Love them....keeps trucks and traffic moving waaaaaay better. Same with no toll booths!

You should get a bill with pics of your plate....that is how my fried does it. I am EZ pass all day long!

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I just don't run enough toll roads to justify it I don't think. Or maybe I could. I do find myself on the Florida turnpike several times a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.