CB, a dying truck driver tool, what y'all think??

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by franktaylor, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Great stories from the good ole days. Thanks

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Absolutly not. Even if its obsolete. Ive found obsolete things work very well, and dependable. Many deaths from like ups could be avoided if cb was on.

Blaskowitz and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    CB radios, the original "messenger" platform. And if there are cellphone apps that could somehow be rigged to work with a CB antenna on the truck(micro USB adapter for the plug,. etc) then that's one less piece of hardware to buy.
    But if I do come across one of those Uniden, hand-held, cop-looking CB's going for cheap on the Craigslist or the like, I'm definitely snatching it up.
    Carry it on my truck, or my regular pickup truck, or my motorcycle, or my bicycle!!

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    There are more people sandbagging than you think. The radio will be quiet for hours untill someone asks the right question, not the obligatory radio check or break channel. Why do you need a break if no one is talking anyway? Don't piss around just spit it out. Don't ask me if I have it on, just ask.

Where is a good place to stop? What is this road like? How should I do this?

It isn't uncommon to hear multiple replys... For the right question.

6. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I just run local hauling grain and use the CB all the time. Most of us locals know each other and always keep updated on bears, traffic and the lines at different elevators. One just saved my but last week with a break check coming over a blind hill with a bear on the other side threw a part of the city with a lower speed limit that and I had not backed down yet. They are always good for stopped traffic on blind hills or corners too. I haven't been in the game long but I think the CB is far from a thing of the past. With more laws about txting and being on the phone while driving I could see them actually make a little comeback in big trucks.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Yes. Radio dead silent for hours until a Bison truck decided to pass on curve. Radio lit up and police detained Bison truck at next town Wednesday night.

Snow Walker Thanks this.
  8. Snow Walker

Snow Walker Light Load Member

Of all the drivers out there, OTR drivers should know better. And other drivers wonder why the image of a professional driver is diminishing.

How is life in Thunder Bay. I drove for Lakehead Freightways for a spell back in the sixties. The old Autocars were a beautiful workhorse in those days.

9. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina

I would publish my "Legend Of Hot Tangy Vomit" spiel on here for the "enjoyment" of all, but sadly it would violate the sites TOS.

10. wrongwaytommy

wrongwaytommy Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    the radio is quiet untill we cross the scales,and then it lights up.....fussing about the slow drivers going thru the weight station

11. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    I keep it on most of the time, though if some blabber mouth comes on just to be aggravating I'll turn it off for a few miles. It makes checking in at many shippers easier. And for those who say they've never been in a situation to need one I have, I was on the side of a 10% grade in Petersburg, WV when I first started in March , my trainer was driving because we we're try to beat the snow. As we rounded one of the hairpin turns the truck started to jerk and the tires spun out in a curve. Company doesn't give us chains so we're stuck. No cell reception and the first hour hollering on the CB got us nothing. We eventually got a hold of the snow plow and got him to plow around us and put Cinder out. If we hadn't had a cb he would've come flying around that corner like he usually does and smacked right into us and we would've probably went over the side of the mountain.

Meteorgray, Timin770 and Snow Walker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.