CB antenna on FL Cascadia '16?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Galactic Express, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Galactic Express

Galactic Express Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Hi all! I'm new here, and just had a question. I'm currently in a 2016 Freightliner Cascadia (company owned, just assigned). I originally had two open coil antennas cophased on the Wilson mirror mounts. I had no problems until recently. I couldn't get my SWR below 3 all the sudden, so I switched the antenna mounts, coax, and even tried running a single Wilson 4' fiberglass antenna drivers side. Currently I'm using the built in antenna, and now I'm starting to get large static spikes and I'm watching my rf needle rise almost all the way and then come back down (Cobra 29ltd classic). So I'm not sure if it's an antenna issue, a radio issue, or if the mirror mount isn't truly grounded (as I'm currently looking for a multi-meter to check that). I'm seeing that basically a 7' Firestik is going to be the best bet in a Cascadia. And if my mirror mount isn't truly grounded, where and how would I run grounding straps?

Sorry if something like this has already been answered. So far searches turn up nothing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Door hinges are generally a good spot to run grounding straps.

Galactic Express Thanks this.
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Try two braided straps on each door hinge...Be sure to clean any paint off the bolts where bolt and strap connect..Try to keep them 8" or less....
    DO NOT USE BIRD PERCHES..If possible use a stainless steel 2 bolt mirror mount like the wilson style you see at the trk stops...
    Pay attention to the ant mount itself,some have an anti corrosion finish that will not ground(discovered that with an ohm meter).....
    I suggest a 7ft skip shooter vs a fs,ss have a tuneable tip while fs doesnt..

Finally use the puddy like tape to water proof all your connect points

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Galactic Express

Aug 9, 2018
    Thanks for the answers guys! The straps go door hinge to door hinge, or mount to door hinge? I do have the 2 bolt mirror mounts, but I do believe the antenna mounts themselves are non corrosive. It doesn't say it has a finish, but that it's "Stainless steel for a non-corrosive mount." Is that the same thing? If so would I be looking for aluminum? Will definitely pick up a ss opposed to a fs, I forgot they didn't have tuneable tips.

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Test the ant mount with an ohm meter..Had mine all mounted and results on my analyser were wonky as heck..
    Make sure both parts of ant mount are bolted together(not mounted up)and touch probes on both side and see..

As for straps..1 side of strap connects to hinge on door side then cab side but do 2 per hinge..So you will have 8 points of connect..
    Straps are basically bridgeing the gap between door to cab..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Meteorgray and Galactic Express Thank this.
  7. Galactic Express

Aug 9, 2018
    The problem was this, happened by a Love's and picked one up that doesn't have the anti corrosion. Put it on and all works good. Door still isn't grounded when open so I'm going to check a CB shop here and see if I can't get straps. Thanks a lot! Would've driven me crazy before I'd figure out it was the mount itself!

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Get yourself an ohm meter..Had 2 of them and never used it on cb related..
    After talkin to someone who said to try something,i now keep it with me and learn as i go to use it in conjunction with my analyzer.

9. Galactic Express

Aug 9, 2018
    Definitely going to pick one up. Used to have one, not sure what happened to it. Thank you again!

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
  11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Dont forget to clean any painted surfaces..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.