CB Freezes and now it won't turn on

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Johnniemac90, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Johnniemac90

Johnniemac90 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Hey, so I had the CB up and running. I could hear other people talking. However, if I went to talk then half of the time it would freeze and the top bar would be full, but the bottom would me empty so I couldn't hear anything or talk .I'd have to turn it off and back on and hope that it worked. Sometimes, if have to turn it off 5 or 6 times before it fixed itself. Then, I pulled it out to see if I'd somehow switched the ground. It was fine, but I accidentally touched the neg to the pos and now it won't turn on at all. Does anybody have any idea what's happening?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    If it’s freezing up likely internal. Buy a new one. My stereo was doing that and shop dropped in a new one on the weekend. Too costly to repair electronics. It’s all disposable

4. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    It's not what you want to hear, but new one or CB Shop. As far as it not turning on you probably blew a fuse. If not you fried the radio.

Johnniemac90 Thanks this.
  5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If the fuse is not blown, there's a protection diode inside that is probably toast...shouldn't cost more than $20 to fix the diode at the most...As for the freezing, I have no idea...could just be a solder joint...CB Shop should be able to find it fairly easy, if that's what it is.

6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    What type/brand of cb radio is this?

7. Johnniemac90

Johnniemac90 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Cobra 29LXBT

8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Most likely the cpu board is toast. It’s not worth buying a new board and getting it replaced unless you can solder, it’s labor intensive. It seems to be common with this radio.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.