CB Power Amp Punks

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by bbmyls2go, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Wow...it's apparent some people in this thread could give a #### less if they were running a dirty amp that is/was causing all sorts of bleed over and causing interference to someone else who was just trying to watch TV. These are probably the same people that talk tough over the radio, and also think the perfect set up is a 2 foot firestick paired with a 1000 watt linear. Truth is if you take the time to learn a little about a CB antenna and radio (which you should, IMO if you plan to use this stuff on a daily basis), you'd realize a good antenna is not a 2 foot firestick, that a longer whip gives better results, and an amp is not the way to "get out" better or better yet, is not a compensation for running a crapass antenna.

Big_m Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shellhart

shellhart Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2010
    memphis tn
    Bottom line is there is no reason to run an amp in a truck stop. If your radio bleeds through well it will only be one or two trucks and that does suck but sorry. You will never get the guys who do stupid things in truck stops to stop no matter what it is or what you try to do. I have a "amp" on my radio and only time it ever gets turned on is if I am in a conversation with someone and they are going the oposite way or we are far apart. People "should" learn to respect other people but some never will. It is just the way this world is now days. Running a amp in a truck stop is the same as running jakes in one its just polite to turn them off but doesnt mean people will do so.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA

Would you please stop making sense?:biggrin_25523:

Common courtesy and respect went out a long time ago. Now it's just a "My radio is bigger than your radio" contest. Funny thing is, I don't know of ONE company that pays drivers more for having a big radio.

5. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

I have a palomar 450 in the truck. It is off unless I am running down the road or I am out in the boonies all by myself and am trying to comunicate with someone a good distance away. I just don't feel the need to run it in populated areas such as a truck stop or in the city.

6. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Most guys with big radios are trying to make up for small members.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Otherwise known as the Napoleon Syndrome....LMFAO
    Inconsiderate ######## that care about nothing but themselves...

8. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    [whisper] i ain got no pannies on [/whisper]

9. roadgypsie

roadgypsie Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Fairbury,NE
    The part I've never been able to understand about theses guys is why they want to advertise they have a small dick?? That's usually something one wants to keep to themself........ if you have such a problem with size, why do unproductive things about it like buying a linear/car/writing on bathroom walls.........or the walls of my trailer:biggrin_25516: Why not get some enzyte or something? It worked for Bob.........

10. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Don't know about that, the wifes seems well satisfied.

Having a more powerful then stock radio stems back to my other toys. Non of my toys etc are stock. Heck I even rodded the wifes minivan with some power enhancment goodies.

My Harley is not stock either, Andrews 26 cams, highflow intake, exhaust and a 95 inch big bore with worked over heads.

My atvs are highly worked over also. Actually one is going in my garage for the winter to get even more done to it. Ie better cam shaft, more work to the head, big bore kit, suspension work for better handling, rework the snorkle setup for them unexpected water crossings, Less agressive swamp style tires in favor of a better designed tire for all conditions. Chassis work to lighten it up some.

The truck I drive is also had some things done to it to increase power etc. But then this is not a toy, it is a tool. The enhancments increase its ability to properly pull the loads we pull and they also increase the fuel economy. So that would be a win win for me and my boss. I get to feel better about pulling certain loads and not having to drop gears and speed on hills while the boss pays less at the pump each time I fill the tanks.

Just like my stereo systems, I install upgrades to my stereos to increase the listening pleasure, Amps make for a cleaner sounding system even at lower sound levels. Not into shaking the windows anymore because my hearing has suffered enough from my younger years and the 20 plus years of being a mechanic using airtools without hearing protection.

It is a passion, obesssion or whatever you want to call it.

Some people are more then happy with out of the box or off the floor stock. Some people aren't.

The only difference between now and my younger days is that I am not flaunting it like I used to. I am not doing huge smokey burnouts anymore, Not racing down the streets and not trying to light up the sky with radio waves.

I have another obsession as of late. My old fat body is getting too me. Having been on a diet plan for a few months, dropped 25 lbs so far, workouts have brought back muscle mass that has been lost after a few years of holding a steering wheel. My A1C is back down to proper levels after having an energency room visit with levels over 11 and BP through the roof. My old broke down slug of a body is turning into a something that is better performing.

Just remember that, not all big radio users, are not out there to cause problems over the airwaves or in the truck stops. Don't go lumping linear owners all into one group. My use of a linear has brought others to want the same from their radios as I have. Many of them like the idea of longer distance talking that can be afforded with a "stock" CB using the available antenna systems that you have to put up with in the trucking industry.

Event he best setup system in a truck, will only nets you 10 maybe 15 miles using a 4 watt CB. Well unless you mount a pole on top of the truck with an 8+ foot tall antenna on top of it then worry about taking out small aircraft as you roll down the road.

Many of us would love to have the same performance out of a mobil setup as you would get out of a base setup with a beam or other base type antenna mounted on top of a 15 or 20 foot tower. The problem is over head obsticles that we have to deal with with mobil setups. We don't get the antenna options that base users get. So to make up for it we need a little more kick out of the radio setup.

I don't want to hear about 102 whips and trucks. They are not practical on a truck and won't work well unless they are mounted high enough on the truck to the point were they would be smacking every overpass that you would encounter going down the road or even some of the low hanging power lines we see out in the country.

Sure you can mount it low behind the sleeper but then the antenna would be more then 95% blocked by the cab and trailer that you would be pulling. As far as one members suggestion of running a 102 off the front bumper, Well that won't work either, No body ground in front of the antenna means that the radiation pattern of the antenna would be mostly rearward or towards the rear of the vehical. Not to mention the abuse the system would take up here in the north when alot of use are using our bumpers as snowplows in the winter. Heck my bumper has been used as a dirt blade a few times just recently. I mean to the point were I had to get the aid of a pickup and chain to pull my front bumper back into place after dumping a load of clay at a work site. It was litterally folded right back against the tire. God I hate texas style bumpers.

It sure would be nice if the FCC would offer up a comunications option that would not need special liscensing and would take away the need for taller antennas to get a proper working system that will comunicate out past 5 miles. I mean think about it, we can get handheld two way comunicators at the hunting and fishing supply chains that use less then 5 inch tall antennas that will comunicate over 10 miles easily. I have heard that a liscense is required for some of these handhelds but the majority that buy them don't have the special liscensing needed to use them. Some of these things have 200 available options as far as "channels"

You won't see this in trucks until they are sold in truck stops at inexpensive prices in a stationary type setup with a remote style mic similar to a CB.

Just think, a rubber ducky sized antenna mounted in the center of the roof or top rear of the sleeper, 15+ mile comunication with close to 200 channels to use for private quiet comunications between two drivers or a company. All in an inexpensive package that EVERY driver can afford. It would not need special liscensing so they could be easily sold in every truck stop in the country. Personally, I know a boss of a company that would buy this setup for each and everyone one of his 100+ trucks he has on the road. Heck if they were inexpesive enough, every truck manufacturer could be putting these things in the truck from the factory. I would love to see a dash mounted factory setup with a remote speaker near the driver and a hand held mic.

I am betting that 11 meters would become alot quieter and the 10 meter issues would almost completely go away. The splatter issues in the truck stops would quiet down somewhat also.

runningman0661 and josh.c Thank this.
  11. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas

Here he goes again..............................:biggrin_2551:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.