cb radio. no distance

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by leftlayne, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    It all depends on conditions. I think you’re expecting too much

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016

The normal advice for those who use mag mounted antennas is to run a ground between the radio chassis and the vehicle chassis, which I always do. Actually, having the radio chassis grounded is good advice for any radio and antenna setup. I've never had a problem with common mode currents with any of the three mag mounts I use on various vehicles. I have had nothing but great performance from the two Wilsons and the K40 I use interchangeably.

shogun, x1Heavy and Timin770 Thank this.
  4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    As truckers we are used to having the radio turned on all day. More use in week than maybe a car owner would see in a year.

That’s the only place, IMO, for a mag mount. Temporary.

I don’t really understand the aversion to cutting a hole. That’s a non-starter, again IMO. People do far worse every week (how they treat vehicle, driving & parked).

For a car or pickup:

A decent radio right off the shelf (Uniden 880/990) with a small amp (KL-203P) is a good performer. Period. With a mag mount antenna (Wilson 5000) and a microphone better than stock (RK56). Period. Same for Mini-8 / RG213 coax.

Buy a radio mount (Bells or Clays CB). Run a fused, heavier gauge power harness to the battery (same). A Gearkeeper mike hanger, and Uniden Bearcat speaker (same).

A padded case for storage.

Add up the money. How many want to spend even half of what I’ve outlined? As it’s easily $500 before taxes & shipping.

Install it and tune for lowest SWR. Get a friend to help you set mike gain from his radio at a distance.

That, right there, will outperform nearly every truck driver rig on the road. Nearly every pilot car runs similar. Gets out great. Responds to calls from a distance.

The guy who owns this is going to think of it with pride. Great, if he can get to a pro to check things over (radio alignment, antenna analyzed; proper coax & power install).

The rest of this turns into tail-chasing EXCEPT for truckers who are SPECIFICALLY asking how to improve on an intact & working OEM setup.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Meteorgray and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    If i had only spent $500 this year on CB-related . . . .

But this year (and ongoing) I’m determined to learn as I go. Tools, gear, supplies, equipment, reference works, ha, money be ######.

Full speed ahead

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Those Wilson mag mounts do a really good job. They are much better than those cheap center load deals you used to see years ago or the ones from RatShack. No comparison.

I don't think it's an antenna Issue.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Beautiful. I cry tears at joyful over this rig in a vehicle smaller than most truckers can count wheels. (That's another qualification question for wanna be truckers. Can you count more than 10?)

Anyhow.

The adversion to cutting a hole is either a company 18 wheeler where you cannot slice or cut anything inside or out. They treat it worse than a actual stabbing of another human being. (Sarcasm... Im one of those moods today, just enough to be dangerous...)

I ran a mag mount for years on my car and aint worried about what I could not hear anyway being deaf. HA....

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  8. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Mag mounts not only scratch the paint, but can do worse over time if not removed regularly, surfaces cleaned, and coax connection checked.

That coax can beat hell out of the paint. Get smashed in door/window. Etc.

The advantages with a REAL antenna installation isn’t only to performance.

skellr Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Just drill a hole in the roof and put in a real mount. Throw a plug in it if you sell the vehicle or install a cell phone antenna in it's place.. and include it in the selling price. :D

10. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Agreed. An NMO Mount 239-adaptor. (Optek). And run the right type coax to where a cell phone amp would most likely be located (when pulling interior pieces for radio coax),

11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Swr will be where it needs to be when impedences and resonance is reached..Not the other way around....Swr basically is only what happens between ant and radio and NOT what reaches the outside world..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.