cb radio. no distance

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by leftlayne, Sep 13, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Unless he has a defective antenna im thinkin its the tech that got into the radio and did the snippin n clippin..Op has a few options...
    1 try his radio on a known antenna system that works and see..
    2 switch antennas and have it CORRECTLY tuned and see..
    3 Have his radio checked by a different known tech and not a snipper clipper..
    4 Spend some coin and get a multi meter and buy or borrow a analyzer...

Im goin by way of his radio...Sounds like Mr Golden screw driver got into it and messed it up..Also assumein that same with antenna..If tech messed up radio,doubt he can tune an ant and mkst likely did it wilh a lil cheap swr meter..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    While you may never have had the problem, it does pop up sometimes. Magnet mounts as you know are a form of coupling capacitance and with a floating ground between the chassis, radio and RF, common mode can crop up easily.

The other thing that people do not take in account with mobile antennas is the relationship between the earth ground and the capacitance of the mobile unit itself.

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Leftlayne, Sorry that you took your new CB radio to a tech that just basically hacked it up. I don’t know if you live close to the CB Shop or not, or maybe give them a call, and tell him he needs to fix it right by putting the parts back in that he took out. there’s a reason these parts are in these radios to start with. Since he said you should be able to get 10 miles and your only getting 3 miles, that’s definitely a problem that he should resolve it if he cares about customer service.
    Of course he’s probably gonna argue with you about it and want you to pay him for his service to fix it. But I don’t think that’s right when they mess someone’s radio up and don’t want to fix it.

rabbiporkchop and Meteorgray Thank this.
  5. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Surely, magnet-mount antennas are not perfect. They have their weak points. But for millions of folks like me, magnet-mounted antennas perform fully up to any other type of antenna of equivalent lengths, and the shortcomings are worth the benefits. To answer some of the recent posts here:

You might get a scratch on your car from the magnet: Sure you might, if you're not careful putting them on and taking them off. But you won't scratch the vehicle if you do it carefully, and even if you do get a scratch, IMHO it beats a permanent hole in the roof.

You might get moisture under the mount: Sure you might, but that is solved by wiping the moisture off.

The exposed coax might hit your car in the wind: Sure the coax might move in the wind. If it bothers you, put a small piece of tape or two to keep it down. I've tried it. It works.

The coax might be pinched by the window: Sure it might, so leave a small gap for it. I wouldn't repeatedly close a door on it, however.

The magnet mounts might have some common mode currents and a relationship with the earth ground and the capacitance: Sure, all those things are factors to be considered just as any other system, but they can be and are solved just as with any other system.

Look, I know that magnet mounted antennas are not everybody's cup of tea, but neither is the alternative for us folks who do not want to punch a fair-sized hole in the roof of their vehicles.

I objectively chose magnet mounts because I have several personal vehicles that I need CBs in on occasion: an F250 for pulling a travel trailer cross-country when the mood hits me; a Jeep for excursions in the wilds with hunting parties looking for game; and an SUV and a sedan for long-distance trips down the highways.

Instead of drilling holes in each of these vehicles, I use magnet mounted antennas which have provided for communications as far and as well as any other antenna design under like circumstances. As I've stated in this thread previously, inch-for-inch, magnet-mounted antennas perform as well as any other antenna design out there, and since the magnet mounts can be placed in the best position on a vehicle, the metal roof, they can actually outperform a longer antenna that must be placed in a less desirable place, such as lower on the body or even the bumper.

Now, on vehicles where a person wants a permanently mounted antenna and never take it off, it would be best to drill the hole and plant the antenna. And on vehicles that have composite non-metal roofs, a magnet is not possible and so other mounting designs must be used. But in cases like my personal vehicles, the magnet works, and it must for others, because after all these years, there are still lots of magnet-mounted antennas to choose from on the market.

craig_sez and Timin770 Thank this.
  6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    “Temporary” is the point. Not job. effectiveness.

Plenty out there use them permanently. THAT is a set of potential problems NOT adequately offset.

The same who balk at doing it right in the first place object mainly to cost. But fly the red herring flag that their emotions about a proper installation outweigh all other considerations (against that it’s easy to show expensive long-term damage using mag mount).

Will one use a CB throughout the life of the vehicle ownership (is the real question)?

Separates wheat from chaff.

There is a “right” answer.

1). Somewhere along the continuum of CB usage being weekly, monthly or more quarterly?

2). Then length of period.

3). Then annual days versus expected life of ownership.

Cost of ownership against cosmetic repairs necessary to maintain as-new appearance/ performance can quickly hit four-figures.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Meteor I like the way you think. No way in hell Im drilling my roof. Having said that I respect a person's right to do so and admire their committment to the hobby

Meteorgray and shogun Thank this.
  8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Bought a new pick up in jan of 16..It was suggesyed to drill my roof to but eff dat..My sirio mag works just fine.. 20170811_183909.jpg

rabbiporkchop and Meteorgray Thank this.
  9. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    That Sirio is a mechanical work of art. I would have bought one, but at 6.6 feet, it was a little too tall to get into my neighborhood with all the overhanging trees. I got a shorter Wilson instead.

That Sirio big boy will challenge the 9-foot straight quarter-wave whips unless the 9-footers are also on the roof. There's no better placement on a vehicle than on the roof, proudly looking in all directions without obstructions.

10. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Allan’s descriptions of mag mount problems are worth re-reading. K0BG.

My father first had installed a series of Motorola radiotelephones starting in 1962. He kept the last of those cars twelve years. Never a problem with drilled mount.

Feelings overriding reason.

11. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Just curious what happens when you drill the hole and later discover it's not the best location?. With my mag antenna I can move it many times unti I know it's right

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.