cb radio. no distance

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by leftlayne, Sep 13, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I just put mine right in the center of the roof. Measure twice, cut once.
    lobederayonnement.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Those patterns are not correct, they are assumptions.

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    ...and don't get me wrong. I believe it is very highly probable that permanent mounts are more efficient in most cases. I simply regard the outer skin of my cars to be sacred and i could never bring myself to drill LOL

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I thought that way for a while then I realized, performance trumps the car's skin.

The car rusts away, it wears, stone chips to the paint, rocks hitting the windshield, the plastic inside weathers thanks to UV and to beat all it is a mass produced item where there are thousands exact like it coming off the same assembly line.

6. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    We experience all of those wear items except for the rust here in Atlanta. We don't do rust. I grew up about 500 miles north of Atlanta however so I still remember the ravages of road salt

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, they are very soft.

8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Unless you have some sorta cross member the middle of your roof is usually the best place..Keeps the antenna from being a lil directional..

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Ya know you can loosen the coil area and it will bend to a 90 degree..I don't have that issue but even so the whip is flexable enuf to darn near bend over on itself before it will pull the magnet off..I take mine off when not used and disconnect it from the mag and set it across my back seat..I give the spot where the mag sits a quick clean and all is good...Only thing I don't like about mine is the length of the coax..The way I routed it in my pickup to hide it kills the length to use outside and so it makes it more of a forward direction tx..

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    OH..Just had a thought for the op........IF he has the alum after market antenna mount just double chk to see its not have a thin coating of plastic over the entire mount...I did the same thing not long ago and it drove me batty for a bit till I got ma trusty ole multi meter out..

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    If you drill a hole you also want a piece of backing plate to add some strength. Any antenna worth a dang will flex back and fourth enough to weaken the metal and it will eventually break around the base of the antenna/mount.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.