Cb radio question, older Cobra Nightwatch 29

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by WrongWay30, Nov 29, 2021.

1. WrongWay30

WrongWay30 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    I thank all of the responses. I don't know of any cb shop around me to align the radio. I did order a mount, and rx8 cb cable. I'm gonna run my cb antenna separately from all the factory garbage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Unfortunately lack of good CB shops is a problem today. It forces you to spend more money to mail your radio to the shop and back.
    At this point I we don't even know if your radio has a problem.
    You are doing the right thing by following the fellas advice and concentrating on the antenna problem. Get the antenna working first, then the radio, and then only if the radio really has a problem. I would advise you to run the dynamite completely up. Mainly because these radios only come from the factory at around 80 % modulation. So if you turn your mic gain down, your on the air audio is weaker yet.
    I always recommend that everyone owns an external swr/power meter. It's a very valuable tool for troubleshooting your radio and antenna system. Worth the 50 dollars or so investment. Keep us posted on you antenna system progress because you are on the right path.

WrongWay30 Thanks this.
  4. WrongWay30

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    I'm back. I've taken my antenna and mounted it on a bird pirch on my passenger mirror. I bought a Wison gum drop mount. Rx8 mini coax cable. Now my antenna is separate from the freightliner coax.
    My problem now is swr is higher on 1 than 40. Now here's where I'm unsure. My antenna is almost all the way out already. How could. I don't even think I have 1/4 inch left. I did not test my swr with an outside meter. I used the one on the Cobra radio. I have a meter at home.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

5. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

I have never been a fan of the gumdrops..Seems to me it was never like by many but i dont remember why..

Ant should be on drivers side to keep it way from low hanging trees,road signs..Another issue is the bird perch,i hate them cause its alot of strain from wind blast on the antenna for one bolt..Also that same wind blast will loosen your perch...
    Procomm/wilson does make a better ant stud from stainless and find a 2 bolt ant bracket..
    Browse the threads here re mount suggestions,also go read up the process of rf bonding..
    On youtube a basic idea of bonding is done by smokin joes,bbi has a few vids on the subject and go reading on here..
    K0bg.com

WrongWay30 Thanks this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Craig has given you some very good advice. Don't do anything with your antenna until you get an external swr meter. The internal swr meter is very inaccurate as I believe I mentioned before. If your external swr meter reads higher swr reading on channel 1 vs channel 40, then your antenna is too short. May need a longer mount, or some people install a small heavy duty spring on the antenna To lengthen it.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What is a high swr?

2:1?

Timin770 Thanks this.
  8. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    That's a good question. I guess we won't know until he can put a good external swr meter on it.

9. WrongWay30

Apr 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    3-3.5

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep that’s high but that’s an internal meter.

WrongWay30 Thanks this.
  11. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Before doing anything else, I would recommend doing some bonding like Craig is doing on his truck. Then see if the swr changes before adjusting the antenna.

WrongWay30 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.