CB radio too big to fit

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Bry, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Side pipes

Side pipes Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Ireland
    Get some Velcro tape stick underneath the shelf

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
  4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Actually more often than not...they were rolling luggage bags
    Although there were some custom manufacturers back in the day that made fancier ones with radios already included along with luggage compartment
    Antennas already permanently wired in and attacked to vise grip clamp to attach to mirror mount
    Back in the day....#### near Every freight company line haul driver had one...since
    most every operation was slip seat
    Go to work put box in where passenger seat would have been(most line haul tractors only had driver seat) run antennas thru vent window clamp on and go
    Get to next yard...take out put in van go to hotel
    Or the rare few that did turns..or meets.,.you
    Typically just swapped units and headed back
    ]

5. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
  6. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Gorilla is decent but it's not that strong.

This stuff is 40 years old and can survive heat better. It also stick to plastics much better.

What Is the Strongest Double-Sided Tape?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  7. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    It will survive heat better for sure but vhb isn't stronger than gorilla black and is considered a permanent adhesive. I've used plenty of vhb and other spectacular 3m products. Interesting fact about 3m is if you have an industrial need for a product and they don't have a solution, they will research your needs and invent a product. They aren't talking about the same gorilla tape anyways.. "Gorilla Tape can hold up to 30 pounds and can be applied in temperatures as low as 50°F. Like VHB, Gorilla Tape is clear and won’t yellow over time."

I would have been more concerned with heat implications if it would have been a shear load but since it's resting flat on the dash the thicker gorilla black is a better option considering the simulated leather grain of most vinyl dashs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  8. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Yea I've tried gorilla tape and stuff fell off the dash that I had mounted. Their glue is ok, but the tape, meh.

9. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    I never used the clear 38# as much as the black. If that stuff fell off the dash i would be amazed as long as you were prepping with alcohol.

I'm not a huge fan of Gorilla Glue. Because of it's expansion it has pretty limited applications.

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I remember many of the LTL carriers had a post around 3 inches long, mounted horizontally above the mirror mount specifically to vise grip the antenna to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.