Cdl course

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Larocamaro, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Larocamaro

Larocamaro Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Hey guys I'm currently doing cdl weekend course we already have permits we've done a few classes were set to get out of classroom after next weekend and start doing stuff on the truck my question is how many times did you guys go over pre trip backing and driving?I'm more of a hands on learner and feel like I haven't really learned anything just watching videos and taking little tests did anyone feel like this?I'm really nervous about the pre trip

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    The trouble I would have with a weekend course is that the class may be doing great on the weekend then you go a full 5 days doing other things, living life - then you come back to try remember and learn all the new things again.

ive seen many people succeed on a weekend training program. Not for me, as i also saw it take a handful of months to complete.

csmith1281 and Larocamaro Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Try about 14 years and get back into a big rig again, anyone like myself would be rusty. Don't worry it will come at you again in a hurry.

Larocamaro Thanks this.
  5. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    Every thing you see is not cracked , broken , or damaged lol that's what we were taught in school 8 years ago , when you touch a part for pre trip , say it out loud so the tester can hear you lol

Larocamaro, Eowyn and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Once I had a picky body. Lean over me.

Great.

Stand at door. Start with the fire extingusier being secure and expound on same. Pressure gauge, non rusted securement, good pin, recharge tag being valid etc. Work my way around to the permit book start working down the pages.

By the time I get to the fuel tank on the left working on the lines not chaffed, straps strong and bolted and so on etc etc

Busy Body begins to exhibit body langauge that says I want this to be over.

When I take one step to the steer tire and start from open engine compartment top and work down.... a thousand little things.

AWRTIGHT *%$ ENOUGH OF THIS OMFG GET IN AND DRIVE.

Ty kindly Mr Trainer.

7. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    I went to class 5 days a week, 3 weeks in class, 4 weeks hands on. We did the pre trip at least once a day the first week then it slacked a little until the last week when we did it one or two times a day. Our instructor gave us a hand out with all the components. It was recommended to always do it in the same order every time. I would go home and read over the list once every night visualizing the parts.

If it was raining or snowing we were driving. Nice days we were backing or a combo. The first week we just did bobtailing up and down the road the first few days then we got the trailer by the end of the week just going up and down the road. It was a dead end road that looped and then we came back and turned around in the yard.
    I was in a small class so I got a lot of hands on.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

What you are feeling is normal. I doubt anyone without previous experience ever felt well-prepared for the state test after just a brief CDL school. Adding pressure onto yourself is not going to help pass the test. The tests are tests, you have to do or say the things the state wants you to do or say. It's not a discussion or essay.

9. Larocamaro

Apr 2, 2019
    So today was the last day of our third weekend 5 more to go...we got some time to do pre trip THANK GOODNESS I COULDNT TAKE ANYMORE CLASSROOM LOL...I better at visually learning instructor showed us once then everyone went I think I did ok for my first time.....then we broke into groups and the guy i get went from student to examiner stating i was a mechanic etc......i was like ok man your training to lol overall it went well theres definetly "clicks" forming and I'm just like I'm here to train guys i got kids and Bill's lol gonna study this pre trip sheet all week and practice what I can on my car or in my mind......thank you guys soooooo much for the replies ik you've all been there if we can go over this 20 more times I'll be ok

Eowyn Thanks this.
  10. joshlilou

joshlilou Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Best of luck man, and remember waste the nervousness at this stage, once you are lined up to take the road test you should stay cold blood to deal with those 30min. I failed twice in a weekends course too, nothing wrong with fail but it’s hard wait that long to re-test.

Larocamaro Thanks this.
  11. Larocamaro

Apr 2, 2019
    Thanks man!they said of all classes since august only 3 passed first try but failures not an option mindset because I'm sick of this factory been here for 11 years ready to get otr

AbelAxe, csmith1281 and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.