CDL for EU citizens.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Julian85, Jul 5, 2018.

  1. Julian85

    Julian85 Bobtail Member

    Jul 3, 2018
    Hey guys.
    I am european. Lived in uk for 5 yers now im in the netherlands. I got class 1 (uk version of proffesional driving) or c + e (eu version) with my license being registered in uk.
    So i got my b2 tourist visa. Visited new york and miami (2 weeks trip) and i literally fell in love of 'Merica. (Never expected that lol)
    I found some answers but not something sure i was looking internet over and over but only vague answers.
    Correct me if i am wrong. So you cant make an CDL course with a B2 visa(tourist visa).But what about student visa? And how long the course is? How much time would i have to be there in total. And like an average price for it? I would come for a long vacation if there is any way of me having the course . Money wouldnt be such a big issue. I earn pretty well. I worked for DHL automotive in uk and now im on schiphol airport (amsterdam) on air cargo. Having pass to enter airport etc.
    I dont want to be disrespectful for some guys posting comms but most of them are irrelevant to this "enquiry". So if i dont know anyone there... what would be the steps to follow?
    And i saw post about "bride by mail" but i would like to consult any other options no matter how hard they are... and take "the bride" as literally last option. Thank you all. And have a safe journey. God bless you all.
    PS language is not a problem at all. Lol
  2. CoyoteExpress

    CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

    Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    for canada you must make a witten and road test
  3. Julian85

    Julian85 Bobtail Member

    Jul 3, 2018
    Thank for ptompt replay. I have acces anytime in Canada. But i would like America.
  4. DUNE-T

    DUNE-T Road Train Member

    May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can't get a CDL with social security number anymore. If you get a student visa, get a work authorization, get a SSN and somehow manage to get a CDL, I think they will issue it only for the duration of your Visa.
    If you start working driving, you will get kicked out from the college and your Visa will get terminated.
    They really cracked down on the immigration lately
  5. Julian85

    Julian85 Bobtail Member

    Jul 3, 2018
    Important is a way to get the license. Than i can find a company that can help with h2b visa. For temporary..
    I really dont want bride by mail lol
  6. homeskillet

    homeskillet Road Train Member

    Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Most CDL courses are 160 hours.
    4 weeks or so, 40 hrs a week.

    I remember seeing ads for a three day course somewhere in Missouri. Don't know if it's still around.

    Check the U.S. Immigration website for visa requirements. If you try to do this on a tourist visa, you're making a huge problem for yourself. If you are a Caucasian male, you won't get any help from activist immigration lawyers.

    Keep your good paying airport job, and come visit us anytime. We'll still be here.

    Either that or spend two weeks laying in the sun, and try coming up through Mexico. Some organization will probably give you a truck....
  7. upnorthwpg

    upnorthwpg Heavy Load Member

    Sep 23, 2011
    Your violating the terms of your visa by seeking employment. Do it the right way.
  8. Accidental Trucker

    Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

    Jun 4, 2015
    Might be worth exploring getting a seasonal farm visa and driving a farm truck, such as a bull rack, sugar beet or spud truck. You could just test for your CDL (most farms don't run commercial truck insurance requiring formal training), and drive for the season while your H1B visa is in the mill. Or find the your own bride the old fashioned way. They do love accents.....
  9. Magician0909

    Magician0909 Bobtail Member

    Oct 17, 2018
    Hey Julian,

    Did you get any further with your enquiries? I'm looking at something similar to yourself!
  10. x1Heavy

    x1Heavy Road Train Member

    Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will have to check with America. You are not allowed to work unless you come here on a Work Visa. If you for example come to visit America to look around, you cannot work.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted