Cdl permit trying to find school or company.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by will181996, May 9, 2024.

1. will181996

will181996 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2024
    I really don’t know where to go from here. I got my cdl permit about a week ago, I’ve been struggling to find a school or company to get my license from. I want a job where at least home weekly. Idk which job in trucking would be best for me to start with. Thanks
    I live in Columbia, SC
    Zero experience
    Clean drinking record
    27 years old
    No criminal history

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Numb and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    To help you AT ALL -- we need to know:
    • what city/state you are nearest, &/or
    • your zip code
    • how old you are
    • your driving record over the last 5 years (any tickets, or accidents)
    • any criminal history in the last 10 years (convictions)
    We can't be of much help without that info....:dontknow:

-- L

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Warning.....be prepared to take whatever is available, even if it ain't home weekly. Newer drivers can't really dictate the jobs they want necessarily due to a shaky job market for inexperienced drivers. Omce you get some experience under your belt, it becomes easier to write your own ticket(provided you dont get any major moving violations or accidents). Now depending on where you live, it isn't impossible. Of all the sectors for drivers coming out of school, going flatbed may be your best bet to get the hometime you desire. Many flatbed companies operate that way. That's because most flatbed customers are Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 PM. Dry van mostly have day schedules and with reefer, you gotta pretty much be prepared to drive at any time around the clock.

The one california kid Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; town or nearest town?

6. will181996

will181996 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2024
    I’m in Columbia South Carolina , im about 45 mins away from charlotte

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Free trucking school now offered to South Carolina residents
    August 30, 2023. By Wimberly Patton. A technical college in South Carolina is offering free CDL training for residents of the state. Aiken Technical College Office of Continuing Education announced the free course on August 28th as part of a partnership with Ancora …
    ~
    55 mile commute might be a little much unless you have somewhere to stay in Aiken.
    Contact the Office of Continuing Education at Aiken Tech by emailing conted@atc.edu

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The CDL job market sux/blows pretty hard at the moment -- especially for new(er) drivers.

To accurately describe it is well beyond the scope of polite conversation (& thus -- I won't).

Pay careful attention to any carriers/recruiters that visit your CDL school of choice.

Those carriers (if any) may well be your best hope in the current job market.

Also -- get ALL the relevant CDL endorsements: tanker, hazmat...& also doubles/triples.

You will likely need them to get noticed over the other job candidates who don't have them.

Those endorsements show prospective employers that you are serious -- & you mean business.

-- L

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Did you say Clean “Drinking” record? :biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.