CDL restrictions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by briancjones12, Jan 16, 2018.

1. briancjones12

briancjones12 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Hello, I'm a bus driver but I wanted to post on a trucking forum because I figured perhaps they would be knowledgeable about this subject. I got a CDL class B through the school district I work. I completed the test with a school bus to get passenger and school bus endorsements. I received my CDL and I noticed there was no manual transmission restriction. The bus I took the test in was an automatic as almost all busses are.

Was this a DMV error, and if so will this cause any problems. For example when renewing the license does the DMV check the skills test form again. I asked the instructors at the school and they said it wont be an issue. I have no plans to drive a manual transmission class b truck but I would prefer not to go back to the DMV.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You lucked out. When you renew your license all you will need is an up-to-date DOT Physical.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. briancjones12

briancjones12 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Ok thanks that's what my instructor told me too.

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You seriously lucked out.

DO NOT MENTION THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

Most anyone that tests in a Semi tractor trailer or a Class B Automatic truck WILL GET A RESTRICTION for auto ONLY and that severely handicaps your hireability.

As far as the DOT medical etc you will need to do that at some point.

Do not think you managed to get away from the DMV too long. LOL. But seriously keep your #### mouth shut about that manual transmission. lol.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Every once in a while you will see DMV clerks so overloaded they get in a hurry and fail to add or take something away. This actually happened to me when I transferred my CDL from Georgia to Virginia. I had a class M restriction on my class A that should have been removed when I upgraded from my B. Georgia would not fix it and I just lived with it. The girl at the Hampton DMV asked me about it and I briefly told her my CDL history and why it was there. This become an issue because of the way Virginia has their licensing software setup. The girl was in such a hurry she just took the M off. Today it is gone, however also so is my whole license to drive today. can't operate any class Motor Vehicle today with my history of seizures.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    AW.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.