cdl school pushing companys

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by beezle, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    Just a quick blurb on the original question. The trucking schools WILL push certain co's., sure. But the "because they're the only ones that take time to send recruiters"...... Is suspect. My own admittedly cynical mind spun that into "They're the only ones hurting for drivers enough to"
    Not that I'm harpin on ya for being a newb. We ALL were, so no sweat there. But in general, you're most likely going to be hired with one of the big high turnover co's and gain experience. Just keep that in mind when looking at a company the school recommends.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goldwing daddy

goldwing daddy Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Stuart,Florida
    drivers and newbies,I too am seeing the presence of companys before i even signed up.How do we know if the school is on the up and up?I really want to be a driver,but I don't want to be a hazzard to myself or others by being trained by driver mill schools paid by driver mill companies.Is there a way to find out?

4. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Thats actually a tough AND good question,

Driver training is not a 2 week course. I myself went through what your talking about.

I was raised around trucking most of my life and actually drove logs across fields to a saw mill at a very young age. So, I've been in trucks a long time.

As a career change? I would not recommend any school who graduates a class at just 2 weeks - 3 weeks and then into a truck running OTR.

This is what is going on.... Seek a 2 - 3 month PT / FT school to go through.

Driving the truck's not the issue... It's driving the TRAILERS in and out of HEAVY traffic and in ALL types of weather.

It's not as easy as the Sr's make it look!

All the best,
    Matthew

5. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia

good advice and oh so true............

6. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    I am starting Sage in Henderson Colorado on apirl 9th 2007
    I was in the directors office for my school interveiw and seen alot of werner stuff and I asked what is that were you try to send everyone he said nope that they just keep sending him all of the freebies.
    In all this school does not try to pust you to a certian company.
    At least they are not trying to push me to any certian company
    p.s this is a 4 week 160hr course and the on the road time is one on one.

7. keotie

keotie Bobtail Member

May 19, 2007
    Im a newbie here as well as to trucking in general, Im halfway thru my CDL course here in northern Ark. I WISH our instructor would be more forward in suggesting a company to go with. We have seen a video presentation from Werner, had a recruiter from Covenant and another company come in so far, but he Will Not make suggestions on who to go with so far.

I have gone online and submitted apps. to about 5 companies so far and have received call backs from three of them (unfortunately, I havent heard from the one Id like to drive for the most)

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

The case may be that the school can not suggest a company. Many schools seem to have open visitations and if a instructor would suggest one company over the other the other companies would buck up and complain. Other schools seem to promote other companies when there may be a kick back involved. Trucking is a cut throat buisness and you would be better off to conduct your own research and not rely on someone that might be in somebody's pocket.:mcool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.