CDL School starts on Monday!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by texasbbqbest, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    Just hitting the switch off and back on got the bags re-inflated on the side of the road. Got back in and drove back to the school without a problem.

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN

Oh ok. I thought the switch busted and quit.

4. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    No but that sure would have been an issue if it had, hahah.

5. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Friday Class -

I have my Airbrakes endorsement!

AND.... I got to drive the automatic (although it still had a clutch) truck today - actually I just learned how to straight line back.

The thing that was the most tough was getting used to how the tractor behaves and the fact that when you are behind the wheel it feels like the tractor is going a lot faster than it is when I was backing. We didn't even use the accelerator today.

The backing itself wasn't too bad after a few times as long as I took my time and thought about what I was doing.

The most stressful part was that there is a wall behind where we were backing to and if a student hits that wall, the school sends you home. I didn't hit it but it was nerve-racking because when I look in my mirror I'm not yet sure where the end of the trailer is in relation to anything (that should come with time) so I left LOTS of room!

Today was a great day though!

The school went ahead and scheduled the driving test for April 24th, however, they usually get rescheduled for sooner, but at least the date is in the system.

I can't wait for next week!

EDIT: Remember I said earlier that MT Training Center has two trucks - a ten speed and an automatic.

enicolasy Thanks this.
  6. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why my instructor has us training to back up toward a building (that the school doesn't even own) in a parking lot stumps me, but here we are and we've already had someone hit the building (which I knew would probably happen). That person was me.....but at least they aren't kicking me out!

Dang it felt so frickin' bad to hit that wall! I just completely deflated inside, but I'm NOT GOING TO QUIT! I questioned if I could do it, but I'm not quitting. I think maybe I'm too hard on myself sometimes (not that hitting the wall isn't a big deal, it is).

I get the fact that you want training to be as "real" as possible but it seems like a big risk for the school to take.

Anyway, I've been trying to do they best I can with my backing (straight line backing, still) and I get one of two good reps in then it all goes to crap and it's like starting over. I know that today was only my second day in the truck, but I hope it gets easier soon! I think if there were trailers or walls or something beside where I'm backing I could get it in, but all there is are lines on the ground and I'm having trouble getting the trailer to stay straight on it. Any tips?

Seems like straight back should be the easiest thing we learn...

Shaggy Thanks this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Baby steps. Stop, little turn of wheel, Move x feet, Stop, Move x feet, Stop, Turn wheel,Move X feet, Stop, move x feet, Turn wheel.

Little movements on the steering wheel. Baby steps. Will be surprised on how little effort is needed to go straight backwards.

The real world ( chase the dragons tail and no stopping )

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  8. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks! I think maybe I'm just trying to do too much too fast. I'll try to take it slower today. Only have a half day today so I'll update you guys tonight when I get back since I don't have to be there until after lunch.

9. demi

demi Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    stuff happens, keep at it!!!!

10. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hendersonville, TN
    Turn toward the problem. If the back of the trailer drift left, turn left....if you loose sight of the right (of the back of the trailer looking at the driver side mirror), turn right. ALL WAYS TURN TOWARD THE PROBLEM. I have too much room on the left, turn left....if I have too much room on the right, turn right. ALL WAYS TURN TOWARD THE PROBLEM. If I am too close to the left, turn left.......if I am too close to the right, turn right...

11. texasbbqbest

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    That actually helps a lot! Thank you!

Town Drunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.