CDL School student looking for recommendations for companies to apply to

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinceBlack, Nov 29, 2021.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    You are brand new to this industry. I've never driven for Freymiller, but NEITHER HAVE YOU. I HAVE, however, been driving for many years. I don't give a rats tush who you go with, but I read bad reviews on this company and wanted to present this to you. If you go with them, go ahead. I don't care if you drive for Swift.

Like someone once told me, the good reviews are possibly paid for by the company and are fake, but the bad ones have merit. The company doesn't want bad reviews out there, so read those with an extra eye of attention.

The review I posted on here did not just rant against FM. He, or she, gave details that I didn't know if you knew or not. You're new, you may think a company charging you for load locks is normal. You might think that getting charged to go off route is normal. I have a lot of driving experience for multiple companies and I know this is not the case. If you want to buy your companies load locks, have at it. I really could care less. Good luck. Tell us what it's like to buy your company their load locks. I've always wanted to know what that was like.

I can't recommend any reefer companies because reefers have kept me up at night and caused me to drive tired. I've never heard good reviews of many reefer companies. I never claimed to recommend anyone, but if someone comes on here and says they like a company that I've heard awful things about I'm going to bring it up. You can take it with a grain of salt or grain of sand. I don't care. I can promise you 90% of people here are recommending companies THEY never drove for. So be aware of that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Speed_Drums, TxFLdino57 and VinceBlack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VinceBlack

VinceBlack Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    You're absolutely right that I'm new to the industry, that's why I'm on here asking people for recommendations lol. I'm still trying to figure out how to check to see if the turn signal fluid is at the adequate level and if the muffler bearings are adequately greased during my pre-trip inspection.

I got some clarification from an FM driver who recently left to go do his own thing. You pay a deposit on the load locks and trailer lock and when you leave you're reimbursed when you turn them in after leaving the company. As for the tolls, scales, and anything else you might pay for on the road like wiper blades etc. you're reimbursed for when you turn in the receipt. He said he's never been charged for going off route and does it often, most of the time he would let his DM know and they never cared. He said he paid the lumpers himself and gets reimbursed so he would get rewards points on his credit card but most drivers just use a company check.

Thanks for clarifying what you were pointing out so I could find out about it first before being surprised.

Speed_Drums, TxFLdino57 and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I'd like to know how that works. Considering if you drop and hook a sealed trailer with your load locks in it they are gone forever. And if all you do is live load live unload you're going to get tired of that real fast. You also won't make many miles.

Don't get tricked by "long miles" on runs if you have to do a live load and live unload on each end. I've done 1200 mile runs that took 3 days, a half day to load, 2 days to run, half day to unload. 400 miles a day is nothing to write home about. But 1200 mile runs are good advertisement for the company.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you're required to drop a sealed trailer with load locks inside, the company knows this and will give you instructions about that. I know, I did refrigerated freight for 18 years. You won't be charged for load locks in that situation.
    Detention pay is paid for live loads and unloads. You're paid an amount just for the stop, then after that detention pay kicks in. If refrigerated companies are so bad, there wouldn't be truckers that make a career out of it.
    `
    Freymiller
    • Stop pay
    • Guaranteed detention, layover and breakdown pay

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I went to a refrigerated warehouse one time and there was a pile of load locks near the dock where I was unloading.
    I ask the warehouse worker why they were there. He said drivers forget them when they leave, so we just throw them in a pile. He said take them if you want them. I loaded all of them in my trailer and took them to our terminal, because we were short on load locks. Within a week they were all gone. One of our own drivers took them and sold them somewhere. After that. the company kept them locked up and drivers had to sign for them if they needed any.

Speed_Drums and VinceBlack Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Flatbed drivers have responsibilities also. I've done flatbed for a short while.
    Those drivers have to keep up with their working inventory, which is chains, binders, straps, tarps, cheater bars.
    All that stuff is expensive. Have to keep constant check on it. Companies are aware that sometime they hire a driver that tries to sell that stuff, then claim it was stolen. Very few drivers do that, but it's something companies have to think about.

VinceBlack Thanks this.
  8. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    I made some videos about the different things I was considering as mentioned in this thread as well as my experiences interacting with the different recruiters at some of these companies. Some of the videos are scheduled to come out throughout this week but if you're reading this in the future they'll all be there. The playlist for the different videos is here:

I ended up deciding to go with Freymiller. The next step in the process is to reach out to my recruiter about a week before I start orientation so that they can get me paired up with a trainer so I'm ready to go once I complete orientation. I'll start a new thread at that time to add to the few older Freymiller threads that we already have on here. Once I start that thread I'll leave a comment here linking to it.

Until then feel free to check out my CDL School training journal if you're reading this thread because you're looking at getting your CDL and choosing your first company. I know I read countless threads like this over the years and I'm glad I finally jumped in to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone in this thread. I'm confident any of the companies suggested would have been great, but I felt Freymiller was the best for what I'm looking for specifically. Thanks for reading.

Speed_Drums and Vic Firth Thank this.
  9. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Freymiller has been around for a long time, best of luck to you!

Speed_Drums, VinceBlack and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I've also looked into Freymiller, researched them and spoke with a recruiter. From everything I see and talking to the recruiter, it sounds like a pretty good company. I also joined the Freymiller facebook page and have communicated with the other drivers. They all seem to be content.

Always look at negative views with eyes wide open. You can tell by the person's writing that it may not be the company as much as it could very well the person writing the review.

Someone writing a review on hearsay only, who has no personal experience with that company is not something I would take as gospel. In this business, attitude is everything. If you have a positive attitude on life, you have good self confidence in who you are, things in general will go a lot smoother no matter where you end up.

Every step in the future is all about experience. If you are new to driving then the first couple of years are going to be a challenge. Have fun with your decisions, have a positive attitude knowing that no matter what, things will get easier and better with time invested.

You're going to hear more bad then good with almost every company, that's just the way people are. Truck driving is a very frustrating job, it takes a lot of patience and a lot of deep breaths. I've driven refer for over 4 years and I liked it. The hours suck, the weather is not always in your favor, traffic and other drivers out there (truck drivers included) will try to ruin your day... every day!

Just like anything else, you're going to hear more negative about something then you are good. That's just the way people are. They can be disgruntled beings, even if they won the lottery, they'll find something negative about that. Some people are just not happy, so they're just looking for an excuse to lash out, and what better way to do so then the internet.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  11. VinceBlack

Nov 6, 2021
    The Badlands
    I joined their Facebook group and noticed the same thing too, everyone seems to be helpful and happy. I'm sure someone will come along on this thread and say that's because the company moderates the unofficial Facebook group, but it seems pretty legit to me and I've learned over the years to trust my gut instinct.

Your last part reminds me of something I heard Richard Childress say one time: I could give everyone in this room a check for a million dollars and someone would complain that I didn't pay the taxes on it for them.

TxFLdino57, Vic Firth and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.