CDL School vs Self Taught...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Fronningen, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Fronningen

Fronningen Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Battle Lake, MN
    I got to thinking, as I too often do to my friends and family's frustration at times, what are the pros and cons of CDL school vs self taught CDL training? I personally just read the manual on my own time, passed GK, Combo, Air Brakes, Tanker and Hazmat all on the first try. I had a seasonal CDL that I had driven around 3,000 miles in a straight truck with, (I'm not saying that's a ton of miles), so tractor trailer was like driving a straight truck with a fifth wheel. Pretty simple. I only drove a tractor trailer 3 times before I took and passed the road test. Scratch that, 2 times and 1 backing session. (Not trying to toot my own horn) So in my mind, I'm thinking, why should people pay thousands of dollars to get the training I essentially figured out with limited help? Obviously some situations make cdl school the only option, or best option, but why would someone choose trucking school if they could self teach? But back to the question, pros and cons of CDL School vs Self Taught?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Reason for edit: I wanted to.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Easy answer.....MOST people...almost all.....are not able and should not be allowed!! LOL.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's hard to get hired if you're self taught because of insurance companies. Yes, the jobs are there for self taught drivers, but they're limited. When you apply for a job, the application is shown to the trucking company insurance company. The insurance company then tells the trucking company,"Yes, we will insure the guy, but the rate for him will be XYZ dollars" or "No, we won't insure the guy." If the applicant completed cdl school, his insurance is much cheaper.

How many people have access to a truck anyway to self teach. It's easy for someone that has connections through family or a friend, but very few people have that opportunity.
    How many people have enough money in the bank to fool around learning on their own? They can go to a 3 or 4 week school, then hit the road earning a paycheck. Those $60K - $70K jobs are given to new cdl grads, but highly unlikely to be offered to a self taught driver with no experience and no cdl school certificate.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. Poorboyskid

Poorboyskid Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Because I can't find a truck to take the skills test in. Or some one willing to teach me how to drive one, and I don't have any money to rent a truck. I have my dot physical and my cdl permit. Where can i go from here without some one willing to help????

6. Poorboyskid

Sep 10, 2017
    And tanker and doubles and triples endorsements.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?
    Two choices; attend a trucking company cdl school or hire on with a foodservice company that hires drivers with only a cdl permit.
    These hire with only a permit:
    Sygma Network
    Reinhart Foodservice
    McLane Foodservice
    Do the online application and apply for "driver helper" or "driver associate", whichever term they use. You'll run teams with an experienced driver and they give you 90 days to finish acquiring the cdl.

8. Fronningen

Fronningen Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Battle Lake, MN
    Like I said, some to most situations make Cdl school the only or best option. But if there is a choice between the two, what are the pros and cons of each, was my question.

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    trucking is not a trade or profession so the trainers do not have teaching degrees. That's the first clue so if you are confident in your abilities go for it. It's not rocket science pulling a wagon, we all did it as kids
    I self taught decades ago

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  10. Poorboyskid

Sep 10, 2017
    The pros of getting it on your own is you don't go in debt $7000. The cons are the big companies want experience or train with them.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  11. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    There is a place in (or real close to) Crystal River, FL. That you can take the test in one of their trucks. The examiner as a person is reasonably friendly. As an examiner he is firm but reasonable and fair. If you properly do your part you'll pass. If you can't do it properly you won't pass.

He is not there to push around his power or intimate you. He is not going to pass you just because you paid him to give you the test. He is simply looking to see if your qualified to properly and safely drive a huge 80,000lb vehicle on the same streets as his family uses.

Anyway, if you need the contact info post it and I'll see if I can find it and get it to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.