CDL Student almost passed, need ideas

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Going Concern, Jan 9, 2023.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    NASCAR uses manual trannies because it makes the driver work harder and is a throwback to the old days of race cars that were all standards. They just adopted fuel injection a few years ago for the first time.

NASCAR racetracks don't have 20 mile backups and stop and go traffic for 30 miles.

NASCAR drivers make far more than I do.

I'll take an automatic, thank you.

FatJoe and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    NASCAR uses manual trannies and the drivers are also trannies or did I misinterpret your post?

GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  4. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Don't forget that chain drive wallet to compliment the gear jammin'

5. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Very well put. Fail at a community college with 3 tries...hmmmm

Graham Cracker Thanks this.
  6. NewWorldTrucker

NewWorldTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2022
    He probably didn’t have a good teacher. The schools don’t do a good job of teaching maneuvers. I “understood” the maneuvers only after finding YouTube videos that made sense to me. The instructors didn’t get me to pass, I did.

I also was extremely nervous and started messing up on 1 of the maneuvers, until I caught myself and got it together, so I get it. He’s going to have to just get a job somewhere for now and see if any schools will put him in a refresher program (1 week).

My school also had that 3 strikes you’re out rule. That’s the downside of the community colleges versus the CDL farms that will let you retest for life.

7. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Besides the worn out ego driven argument of auto vs manual ( which btw with Freightshakers you can put the "auto" into "manual") Tell your friend the best way to help their backing is keeping one idea simple. Grab the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it the way you want the back of the trailer to go.

I don't know why so many trainers get this whole convoluted way of teaching backing. So many times new drivers get so panicked by the mental gymnastics they have to do with trying to imagine If you want the trailer to go X then the hood needs to go Y. Gets worse when they start in the whole "wheres your trouble " crap. F - that. Grab the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. That simple. After that it's just all about learning your truck models turning radius' and watching your mirrors to get back under the trailer in time to keep from dragging down the side of object your pivoting around.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If the student is just looking to work at a company for less than a year, he is making bad decisions. The one year contract is not a sign of a bad company. Being unwilling to work for an employer for 1 year is the sign of a bad candidate. If the company fits the candidate, one year is no problem. If the company doesn't fit the candidate there is no reason to work for them for 2 months. Avoiding the 1 year contract signals to me someone trying to get into trucking with no idea what they are walking into.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.