cell options or internet for Canadians in US

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by skman, May 8, 2015.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Looks like Wind is pretty decent. I wonder if its possible to call forward my SaskTel number to the Wind number when in the US....or if because I'm still routing through my Sasktel number to a phone that is located at that time inside the US...Sasktel would still charge roaming fees? I may have to call them to find out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Telus U.S combo pass, 80 bucks, unlimited mins, 1 GB, unlimited texts etc... They have lesser passes as well, depends on how much you need.

4. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Just an update...for others wondering about US phones.
    I couldn't get to a WINDmobile store and even with my Sasktel roaming package...I had terrible or no coverage in big areas. So, I ended up getting StraightTalk phone at Walmart in ND. Got a decent smartphone for 200 bucks and a $60 card for 30 days International calling and 5 gigs of data. Before I bought it, I told the sales guy what I was looking for and he assured me that it would work.
    Well, it does work good for data and calling. However, if you need to tether or hotspot, it does not work. The sales guy had said it would tether but not hotspot. So I called StraightTalk tech support and unfortunately....they do NOT allow tethering. So, if you need to be able to use your laptop at all....this is not the best option for a US cell provider. Now I may have to buy a data stick or hotspot device to be able to use my laptop.

5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    why not just get a phone through verizon? the guy in grand forks will even come pick you up at the truck stop.

6. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I may look into it. I don't really want to sign a contract tho. Just a monthly deal. I'm also trying to figure out if I can root this phone to allow tethering. Straight Talk wouldn't like it but I don't see why it matters how I use my 5 gigs per month. Phone or laptop....what's the difference? That's what I asked their tech support but he didn't really have an answer.

7. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    If you monkey with that phone to allow tethering Straight Talk will "brick" your phone.

8. Get-r-Done

Get-r-Done Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    I was using Koodo in Canada and then switched to a net10 phone in the states. Net10 would cost about $45/month unlimited talk and text. But now Koodo offers US unlimited talk and text for $45 and you only carry one phone. Only problem no data in the states but with Koodo your not locked into any contract!

9. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Yeah I definitely need data. I tried rooting the Straight Talk phone but it didn't work. So i think when I'm back down there in a week or two....I'm going to grab a cricket phone. They've got a $50 unlimited talk and text including canada and if you buy the right phone....you can tether it for 10 bucks extra per month.

10. Get-r-Done

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Net10 with there $45 plan you get unlimited talk text and data too. No tethering either though. They have won the consumers choice award for service. I used them and had great coverage. You should look into them as well!

11. Get-r-Done

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    You can call into Canada with that plan to just make sure you get the international calling plan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.