I work on a frac crew right now. As far as the trucking, it is just a portion of the work. Working a frac you will be required to swing hammers, and run equipment probably 80% of the time with the other 20% estimated being driving. It is a really good place to get your feet wet in trucking because frac pads are tightly packed and you will learn how to backup. Im in Colorado/Utah and the locations often are not the greatest to drive into, so you will get alot of valuable experience with bad roads and in the winter you will throw chains. I tried the OTR route, but being from the oilfield I knew an oilfield job is the best place to get experience, and the pay is better. Calfrac Grand Junction will hire you at a lower rate if you do not have a CDL to be on a frac crew. They really stress the importance, and it makes others work harder if everyone cannot drive a truck to the next location so they are eager, willing, and able to get guys trained for their CDL as fast as possible. I am going to try to find out exactly what the sand guys here are pulling per load, but just off the cuff and talking to people. You will not make as much as an entry level frac operator as you would hauling sand.