Center lift triaxle trailer question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by FoolsErrand, Oct 9, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    So just curious here.. Jet makes a 53' stepdeck with 3 axles. The outer 2 are on a 10'2 spread and the middle centered axle lifts. I dont think any other axle lifts or slides so its not a closed tandem in any config. Its a spread or a triple on 5' centers.

Lifted i assume we are good to scale 40k on the spread. What would most states allow on the trailer axles when the center axle is down and all 3 are load bearing? Not concerned with california in any way.

Also.. I know how a loaded spread steers.. Would it fight less in triaxle configuration? I am thinking less PSI of ground pressure on the outermost axles [given the same load] will let the tires skid a bit easier but maybe im wrong. Ive pulled light triaxle trailers but never class 8.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    US DOT bridge law allows 43,500 on a 5'-5' spread triaxle so there is little to be gained considering the axle,susension and tires will add 1000#.
    If you are going to run an OS/OW permit load or run into western Canada there is an advantage because you can permit much higher weights on 3 than 2 or even 2 spread in the USA and western Canada penalizes you for a fixed spread but allows 24000KG (52900#) on a tri-axle at 3M (10').
    I would think that that trailer is built for a specialized market and having the center axle only lift is a compromise, but maybe not the best one. it would be better to make all three selectively lift individually so that you could run 1, 2, or 3 and close or spread.

FoolsErrand, Zeviander and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Was going to say something but @beastr123 not only beat me to the punch, but went for the full load of info.

If you are going to do lift axles, you might as well go for a second to run different configs all over. Arctic Fox out of Winnipeg (owner lives in Dubai I think now, lol) runs 12 foot spread 53' tridem roll-tites and most or all of them have all three axles on lifts (I used to work at a company that would cross dock for them and got to pull one into the other yard, was a bother to try and figure out). Adds a bunch to the weight and cost, but will give you any config you need for everywhere.

Personally, if I were doing lifts on a tridem, I'd go centre and rear. That way you get the spread plus a closed tandem for easier maneuvering. I personally don't see where the cost savings come in when they cost somewhere in the region of $6-7k to put on and add several hundred pounds to the trailer's weight. But I guess tires really cost that much running empty?

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Unless heavy, there is no reason to leave it on the ground when loaded. It does give you some more options, especially on overweight loads and during weight restrictions. As far as running western canada, if you want, have pr need a spread, it is the only way to go, other than a sliding spread, which even that might have too much over hang. I know I was busted in BC for having too much overhang with a rear axle slide, luckily I was on my way back and empty, where I could spread it back out and get legal.

Now unless the law has changed, BC required all axles to be fixed, no lifts on a tridem setup technically, but I have never heard of them messing with anybody, but they could if they wanted too.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Auto lifts are now legal with permits and inspection or certification by the installer throughout western Canada on tandem and tri-axle units.
    This is BC's reg (AB,SK and MB are very similar)
    Commercial Transport Regulations

Zeviander Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Good deal, I knew they have changed a lot of laws since I was running it hot and heavy.

8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Thanks guys. I didnt really see much point in lifting the center either. Still dont steer good and hardly saves anything at tolls. Lifting the rear most axle makes a lot more sense to me if you can only carry one up.

9. thejudges69

thejudges69 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2015
    If the center is lifted and you have a minimum 10' spread with it up then your legal weight allowance is 40k on the axle group. So yes there is a benefit. If you don't need the 3rd down for weight then lift and ride.

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The only problem with a rear lift, is you will have to watch how you load it if you intend to run with it up when loaded with legal weights. I had one cali legal step closed tandem, and a cali legal flat with a spread, both were a pain to get the weights right and use that back 5 feet of trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.