Central and N. Florida Heavy Haul Companies: Need Some Suggestions Plz!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Mudguppy, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Uhm, I use 1/2" chains 90% of the time; occasionally I'll use 5/8" on some small stuff, but usually I just grab the 1/2".....Also, I load/unload and haul anywhere from 3 to 7 loads a day, depending on what crew is moving and how far; if I was OTR I would work like 1/5 as much (i.e.- load one machine and haul it 700 or more miles away) and make close to twice the pay.....But no sleeping at the Mudguppy compound with Missus Mudguppy every night....Which SHE might actually prefer.....:biggrin_25523:

281ric Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Here's my .02 for what its worth.

To me it sounds like you are to wrapped up in what someone else is making. If you didn't know what this new guy was making I have a feeling that you wouldn't be here with this problem, and would go into work tomorrow with a good attitude. If you are happy with the money that YOU are making, then keep your local job. Life's to short to worry about what everyone else is making/doing.

4. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    I was once in your place the only difference was , I was dispatching not driving. They brought in someone's buddy and he was making close to what I was making. I felt insulted and thought , I'll teach them , I quit went somewhere else learned the although I was now making more money ( not much ) at my new job the grass isn't always greener on the other side , they didn't shut their doors and we all moved on. In hindsight I should of stayed , I had a sweet set up .

if you leave on pride and feelings alone , you might regret it later on.

Good of luck with whatever you do.

sorry for type-o. fat fingers and small cel phone keyboards dont get along

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Mudguppy Thanks this.
  5. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    I appreciate all the responses. Thank you all.

Oscar, I understand that it appears that way, and would actually agree with you. However, in one of my earlier posts I stated that this was actually the straw that broke the camel's back; there is ALOT more back story here than just what someone else's rate of pay is. I neglected to mention any of it due to time/space constraints (a lot can happen over 7 years, LOL) not to mention not wanting to be too specific because I am still employed there. Suffice to say that the new guy's rate of pay really is the least of my concerns. In all actuality, I really have no ill will toward him, and am glad for him that he is able to make as much as he is. I am being totally honest here.

However, the other, more contributing factors are much more concerning to me. From a supervisor that is extremely lacking in people skills (borderline psychotic occasionally- very verbally abusive to everyone, customers, distributors, and employees alike-and the owner is aware of it!), to expecting loads be hauled regardless - whether it will cause you to go over HOS, asking that hazmat loads be hauled with improper equipment and driver having no hazmat endorsement, to vaguely insinuating that your job may be on the line if you don't do something you feel is safe or legal, etc......So like I said, there are plenty of extenuating circumstances.....

I have been content here for the most part, and put up with a lot more than I should have due to lack of other local jobs where I could earn as much (NOT due to my hourly pay, but because of the amount of overtime I get!) but I feel that the level of stress and overall BS is no longer worth it. This is why I am now looking elsewhere. Hope this maybe helps explain things just a bit more....

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

281ric Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Ric, Oscar, Petigreed et al offer some good advice IMO. You have a good job making good money. Don't screw it up. Take a breath. You said you are making more than every operator except the new guy. I can tell you this.....the boss did not want to pay this new operator more money so there is a reason why he did. Find out what it is and learn from it.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  7. morlandoemtp

morlandoemtp Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    New York
    I bet the new guy is related to the boss, just flat out ask him, he will admit to it or say something like who's d did you suck or A did you kiss to get your job.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  8. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    great advise... I don't know why but this made me LOL.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...and here I was figuring he'd knocked up the boss's daughter. Gotta either kill the little $#!t and end up in prison or give the kid a job and pay him enough to take care of your baby girl & her bun in the oven...

I wasn't gonna say anything, but since the topic was breached,...:biggrin_2559:

10. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Do you have options where you could make the same or more money? If not your boss is right, he is paying the fair market rate. You also work a substantial amount of overtime. Someone paying the same hourly rate may not offer the same number of hours, reducing your total pay. If there is someone else that can match your current pay, will you be home as often? What is that worth to you?

I have to tell you, it sounds like you have a pretty good gig. What your boss is paying someone else should not be that big of a deal to you. It is all about whether or not you have better options. Don't let your ego/feelings cost you a job you don't want to lose.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.