Central Refigerated Service, Inc. - West Valley, Ut.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by buster brown, Jan 8, 2006.

1. The Sheltie

The Sheltie Bobtail Member

Well, I looked into their school, seemed pretty good deal, they even accept pets (which has become my crusade). But then I saw they want you in a lease program after only 3 months, so there's the reason they're pet friendly. Not a critque, just an observation.

I'm not a trucker yet, but 2 weeks training then hitting the road seemed . . . well dangerous. I've never had an accident in my life, but that's because I'm careful. Seems like they are a bit hasty to get you out, and it sounded strangely familiar. Couldn't figure out why this sounded like I'd heard it before, so I dug around like a Sheltie after a Snausage :tongueSTARS555: Ya baby, I found it. The man who owns SWIFT also owns CRS. So that's why they let drivers out on the road with less experience than I allowed my step-daughter to have when she wanted her four wheel license.

Now, I have to be fair. I'm a Wannabe, I haven't driven truck, let alone driven truck for someone. So I'm just going on what is said about SWIFT, it is not my personal experience. Second, I suppose that just because you are owned by the same company similar problems dont necessarily exist. But . . . well . . . I have to say I can't imagine that an apple falls too far from an apple tree. Real truckers can reprove me if I deserve it and that's fine, but 2 weeks in training, 3 weeks on road, then your own truck, seems a bit dangerous to me. Am I wrong?

The Sheltie:biggrin_25522:

Zathras: Zathras not of this time. You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    NO YOUR 100% Right! It is dangerious.
    Skull

4. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    2 weeks or 25 cant train someone to be attentive and safe.

central worked for me, 15 months there now in a 70k a year job.

DONT LEASE!!!!

atleast for 1 year....central introduced a 1yr lease, which imho is to break in the trucks at your fuel cost for them to make mpg and $$ off them after a year...

Central was good, and I liked them

K

5. lonesome_dove

lonesome_dove Bobtail Member

We are with ya earth brown back in the day when they didnt have schools someone just showed ya the basics of driveing the trucks and you were on your own you didnt even have 2 weeks training Central has been good to us or we wouldnt be going on our 6th year. we didnt become owner ops until we were with the company for 3 yrs. They dont push you to become an owner op until you have been with the co for 6 months. have a safe out there.

6. scg

scg Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I applied on line and was tuned down after speaking with the recruiter over the phone after he had my work history which I provided. It seems that having held many part time jobs over the past five years to put myself through school is a no no. You cannot have more than three jobs in the past five years - period, no exceptions. I can understand an employer being very nervous about a job hopper but to decline someone that held part time jobs to better themselves though education is really unbeliveable. That in and of itself should speak volumes about how you will be treated.

Also they really don't have a policy for getting you home in an emergency other that to try and route you home in your truck. They will not fly you. So does this mean that when my 87 year old mother's time comes I will more than likely miss the funeral? What about your new baby, sick spouse, etc.

The school they use is a separate contract between you and the school. Cost is $2,000 and is two weeks long. A rather short training period. While you are provided a room at the terminal in Utah, you must bring at least $350 for your own meals. The $100 pay for orentation is paid at the end. They pull $25 a week from your pay for school so it will take the better part of two years to pay it back. The recruiter could not provide any information on the school contact concerning interest rates, pay back period, etc. Also you will be billed $30 to $35 for your DOT physical. Seems they don't want the businss expense deduction but want you to incurr a non deduction to you.

You spend only two maybe three weeks with a trainer before going sole. You will be asked to go on a lease at 3 months, and you can become a trainer after only 6 months. Is this the blind leading the blind? Or just sheer stupidity? Wonder what their insurance rates are?

They do not have an auxillary power unit on their company trucks so getting the fuel bonus will disappear when you idle in the winter to stay warm or cool in the summer. However you can spend $5,000 to $8,000 according to the recuiter to buy one. What happens when you have your company truck given to some one else for whatever reason?

Recuiters suggestion was to call Swift immediately since they need people. I think not knowing from personal experience how drivers are treated and abused by both dispatchers and Driver/Fleet Managers. I am not one to whine but I don't need to repeat history.

Think I will look at Marten or Rhoel

7. Preacherman

Preacherman Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Moberly, Missouri
    Good luck. I didn't mean to come off as rude I was just getting tired of Central being misrepresented by people with either out of date info or just completely wrong info.

PS: everything in the perinthises is my comments

8. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Reopening a thread that is almost a year old,and has probably not been read in about 9 months, you must be bored.

9. Preacherman

Dec 20, 2007
    Moberly, Missouri
    Yup...well it's also the only negative thread about central in this forum.

10. 6pak4-two

6pak4-two Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2008
    No longer there
    I take it you run for them...............so if I might ask or assume you are doing well.
    I've been away for awhile think'n about them at least for a year.
    It's true I have not seen any bad about them other then above post.
    If you have any comments about them feel free to let me know.

11. Preacherman

Dec 20, 2007
    Moberly, Missouri
    I've been driving for about 2 and a half months and (excluding month of otr training) and I am doing much much much better as the loads keep coming. I am finally getting good loads after proving to my trainer that I can run if I've got a load that allows me to run (usual load was 3 or 4 days to get a 600 mile load to its destination. Thankfully my wife and mother, who moved in with us over Christmas, both have jobs.) I think I have been blessed with an understanding dispatcher at least. Like I said in above post. I am going home 2 days early because I wouldn't get home on time if I was to take my truck to WVC to get repairs done (nothing big just typical maintenance) and my governor put down to 62. Sending me home now is really taking me out of the way. No biggie to me though, just more miles but I also like to think of things from the company's P.O.V. as well. I have had to get stern with my dispatcher on one occasion recently (just lack of miles and the only reason I was stern with him was to let him know I was serious.) and with payroll as well because they lost my bills of lading. Other than that, no real complaints. I've got a good truck, a good dispatcher and it looks like I'm getting good loads. Now all I need is a good paycheck so I can get goodies for my truck (I just now got Sirius yesterday.) I do suggest Central highly even if it is owned by Jerry. One thing that people do need to know is that Jerry owns Central and Swift yes...but there are 2 different CEO's that RUN Central and Swift. Hence why you hear so many bad things about Swift yet so little about Central.

Also, YOUR DISPATCHER WORKS FOR YOU!! If you don't like your dispatcher get a new one but don't be surprised if your new dispatcher sends you on some crap loads at first to get a feel for you and know how you run. Finally, as someone else put in the Central Ref thread in the good forum, it will take a couple of months for you to see any real bank. Either make sure you have a wife who has a decent job to pay for bills and help as much as you can or wait a while to save some money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.