Central Refrigerated Truck Stop II

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by celticwolf, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiggDaddy

BiggDaddy Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Getting everything ready to head to SLC next week. I have a question I thought of while getting my checklist together of what I need to bring. Do you get free Wifi at most of the truckstops? I am bringing my tablet, until I can afford to get another laptop. It does not have a USB port (only a mini USB), so I can't get internet through verizon or anything for it, I would be dependant on WIfi access (without using my phone).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ghettochild

ghettochild Medium Load Member

Jan 13, 2012
    atlanta,ga
    They do hav wifi but will have to pay for it..but if your around mcdonalds or some rest areas hav free wifi.might luck up and someone will have an unsecured conntection

BiggDaddy Thanks this.
  4. BiggDaddy

BiggDaddy Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2012
    That Sux...you would think there is more than enough money going into the TS that they could fit the bill for the Wifi.:biggrin_25512: I guess if that were the case, the price of food would be avarage and not jacked up too, though!

5. Rookie Trainer 2

Rookie Trainer 2 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Hey everyone..

I had to create another account due to login problems..I work in the Salt Lake yard with TDA..If anyone has any questions about the training process please feel free to ask away..

6. Rookie Trainer 2

Feb 9, 2012
    We train students to double clutch.I'll be seeing you in the yard and we'll begin backing training tommorow..

Once we get to ''rookie road'' we'll go over the double clutch method..It's not that hard..You just gotta follow the rythm..Floating gears is done by many drivers,but is best not practiced by rookies and we don't teach it..

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i don't recall learning to double clutch. school or trainer. but that was a long time ago.

8. Rookie Trainer 2

Feb 9, 2012

I was taught it in school.Like you that was years ago for me.Once I got on the road,after a while my trainer taught me to float gears.I floated gears for years until I went ''back to school'' as an instructor.

In school though,we stick real close to the program.We teach double clutching and double clutching only.

9. road runner 9630

road runner 9630 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Hmm, o/o does it again. Watch you check. They took over mileage out of my check. Problem is I own the truck, I don't leash. So always double check.

Klingon and Lady K Thank this.
  10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I was taught to double clutch and to progressive shift in school in 1992. So they are not new methods. Also taught the smith system back then.
    Too bad that timing lights and other things they use to teach are no longer taught. Also school back then was 8 weeks.

We did 2 weeks classroom, 2 weeks backing, 2 weeks driving days, 2 weeks driving nights.
    I believe we were much better trained when we came out of school back then. But nobody wants to pay for training anymore.
    And getting federal grants and student loans is harder than it use to be. The schools use to be certified and covered by federal student loan programs. So the army paid for my housing, and a pell grant paid for my school. So I was not stuck with a 3500 dollar school bill.

This was 20 years ago though. And times change. Training now is just drills to pass a test. Then they expect rookie drivers to train other rookies to drive once on the road.
    Hopefully the FMCSA will fix this this year like they plan too. And make it so these 2 week schools go away for good.

11. jimbo2

jimbo2 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    socal
    Yeah I think 2 weeks class 1 mo. Otr training is way too short...keep in mind I practiced the alley dock literally once before I took the dmv test

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.