Central Refrigerated Truck Stop II

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by celticwolf, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Brings back memories. Every time I go down rookie road I think about my trainer telling us "Stomp that ####roach" when double clutching.

Shardrk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reoTrucker

reoTrucker Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hey there everyone.
    I talked to a recruiter today for Central here in Salt Lake City UT. Rick was a nice enough guy, answered all my questions very well.

I've got a few more weeks of my formal training down here in Price UT at the Utah State CEU trucking center. I'll have my hard copy next week, I could have taken the test this week but thought another couple of days practice in the truck wouldn't be a bad idea. I've got unemployment still coming in for a few weeks.

After quite a bit of digging, I'm pretty much set on Central. I like the rider policy, the price per mile for a newbie is about what I could expect from any company really, and my fiance` told me that when she did business with Central (outside of driving or shipping) she was very impressed with the people, and the way they did business.

Any input for a new guy going to train, first going out on the road, what to take etc. would be greatly appreciated. How much money should I expect to spend on my training week, and out on the road with a trainer? What should I look into that that they don't really teach in school?

Thanks
    Rick

Oh and he said most of their trucks are Volvo's and Freightliners. Pretty sure I'd rather have a FL.. any idea about how to get a better truck?

4. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    what ever truck you get is luck of the draw on whats available at the time.

5. jimbo2

jimbo2 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    socal
    Theyre getting rid of the volvos so youll probably get a freightliner. Youll be driving mostly nights like 4pm to 3 am so get used to being up night. Your trainer will probably make you drive the first day. The wifi at truck stops are virtually worthless. I have verizion mifi and couldnot imagine being without it...in fact im posted up at a flying j right now. Bring lots of socks and underwear...i only was able to hit the laundry once while in training

6. wdstock24

wdstock24 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Punxsutawney, PA
    I just graduated(well, January 6,) from a truck driver training program. Was a good course though I got 35 hours of drive time in 6 weeks. Only about 3 or 4 hours of night driving though. I backed up so much I got totally sick of it and could do a drop and hook in my sleep.

7. niners77

niners77 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Waterford, CA
    Well, yall, I have been with Central almost 2 years now, went through their training program, leasing a Pete, and I am on a dedicated account. I can tell you that the new trucks we have right now are FL Cascadias, and Pete 386. I have a Pete 587, which we are supposed to be getting 150-200 of, some new Volvo 670s are on their way in, more Cascadias, and I believe we are getting some more 386s as well. You will almost guaranteed something used when you start out, but it all hinges on what is in the yard when you are ready to get in. Good luck!

8. 1badz28

1badz28 Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2008
    savannah georgia
    are they phasing out the prostars and kws now. i had heard the prostars were junk and since kw is no longer making the w9 i figured they would be running some other type of kw since kw and pete are both owned by paccar.

9. niners77

Jul 23, 2010
    Waterford, CA
    From what I understand, no more 13-letter ###### spreaders (Internationals), no more long-nose (W9/389/Coronado), no more KW's. 587 Petes, 670 Volvos, Cascadias, and possibly some more 386 Petes are what I've heard at the shop as far as what we will be getting in. No more hoods, no more INT's. I got one of the first 587 Petes, as we only have 4 or 5 right now. (I love it)

10. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Hey!!!! Don't talk about my cornbinder that way!!!! I likes mine. Course, mine is a 9200i and I love the room in it. lol

11. niners77

Jul 23, 2010
    Waterford, CA
    I like the 9400i, but the Prostar and the Lonestar are the bain of my existance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.