Central Refrigerated Truck Stop

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jjranch, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomadtrucker

nomadtrucker Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    the company has a soul to a point. If you take interest in the people that are your dispatchers, visit with them when you get to a terminal, you will turn into something other than a truck number to them and then they may, or may not, pay more attention to you when you need a load or ask a question. The reason there are such a lot of driver turnover is that they are a training company. There are still a lot of experienced drivers there because the pay is as good as anywhere else and they seem to be able to scare up a load to keep you running most of the time. I haven't taken a 34 on the road for about 5 months, although I am considering taking one right now because my recap hours suck for a couple of days. As with any profession, you get out about as much as you put into it. No offense to anyone.

Lady K Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nomadtrucker

Feb 19, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You never answered my question. Do you own your truck or make payments? Did you buy your first one with cash on the barrelhead?

4. nomadtrucker

Feb 19, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If you get a truck that is absolutely filthy tell the guy that is assigning you the truck that it is filthy and ask if they will clean it. Most of the time they will do it, but you are sitting till it is done. It's up to you.

You will for sure get a bunk heater, all the Central trucks have them. Make sure it works! I have heard of some guys getting assigned to some of the ProStar Limited trucks that have a small fridge in them, sometimes the fridge is taken out or it may not work...

5. Klingon

Klingon Heavy Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Go to "Best By" and check in the car stero department.... they use the 125s (and up) in some of the car amps... that is where I got mine.

6. Klingon

Klingon Heavy Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I am on my third truck, third permit book and I haven't seen one.
    I have asked for a list of the drop yards and have been told... "we will let you know where they are when the time comes...".

7. JimBob24

JimBob24 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Cedar Creek, WA
    Oh, and when they go away (Auburn, WA) they don't tell you either! Nomad, I get your point, but Central sure was an experience that I don't care to repeat. The corporate atmosphere was extremely one way. My personal philosophy is, "take care of your people and everything will be taken care of". Central came across as super-negative from day 1 on, and coupled with an innate inability to hit any home time exactly, while mssing 2 totally (anniversary #27 and a lifelong friend's first wedding) etc, etc just made it very easy to depart for other pastures.

jjranch, Panhandle flash and 1badz28 Thank this.
  8. nomadtrucker

Feb 19, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    As I said, no offense was intended. YES, they have problems. I recently turned down a load to NYC and it seems that my loads have tapered off now. It may be that they are getting even or maybe loads are slow here in Denver area.

As far as home time, they have only missed one time for me in the past year. I wanted to be home for 4th of July (my anniversary) and had asked for 3rd, but ended up driving all nite to get home at 6am on the 4th. Slept all day, but made it. Let's face it, the Corporate world is all about making money. We try to make some, they make some, and on it goes. I worked for 26 years for a construction company as a Project Manager and when it came time to cut heads, mine was on the chopping block. They took two young rookies and put them doing what I was doing by myself and still came out on top, moneywise. So I have been the employee and the boss and understand both sides. Bosses make more money, have more stress, and get old faster. I actually enjoy driving and not having to worry about anything but my load and getting it there on time and then planning the next one. It is a lot easier than running 20 construction projects worth about 25 million bucks. I miss the money, nothing else.

If I become disenchanted with Central I will move on as you did. It's business, nothing personal. If it becomes personal, or becomes like work, I will leave in a heartbeat. As long as I can continue to have more good days than bad days, I will continue on. Retirement is not an option. All my retirement money went away during 2-1/2 years of being unemployed.

9. JimBob24

JimBob24 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Cedar Creek, WA
    I have done the management gig as well. Can't handle meetings, memos and those dreaded cubicles. Once had my own office complete with window, but my favorite office before the truck was an airplane. That is a younger persons job now. I will receive a retirement check when I turn 60....gee only 7 more years:biggrin_25520:

jjranch Thanks this.
  10. puffinsmoke

puffinsmoke Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    What is hometime like with Central Refrigerated, if you live in NC?

11. jjranch

jjranch Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Shelbyville, TN

2000w inverter with 2 pos cables one with 300 amp inline fuse the other has 200 amp. then two ground cables are 15 ft but depending on where you want to mount it the cable can be shorter. 2 bolts w nuts and washers 2 each 6inch extensions to couple the fuses. all can be bought at napa auto parts. i call it the emmett power inverter wiring harness as my dad created it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.