Chainin' Up With Dave In AZ

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dave_in_AZ, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Fieldrat

Fieldrat Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Bring it home every day. Come along for the nonsense I deal with just to get to the beer... 20210215_172853.jpg

No cables for this ol' girl then. This one's for you, Dave 20210215_172402.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    There is a caveat to this that is not in the print, cables and autosocks are at the discretion of Colo. Dept. of Transportation Supervisors for certain passes. Not uncommon for them to be prohibited on Wolf Creek, Monarch, Red Mtn., Coal Bank and Molass passes if conditions are bad enough. Number of years back, co-worker and I delivered in Silverton, on the way back empty, the roads were so bad we had all four drives chained and two drags and the trailers still wanted to pass us. CDOT parked a couple of trucks in Silverton because they only had cable chains. Same with Wolf Creek, I've come off Wolf Creek WB before where every tap of the brakes, with regular chains, resulted in sliding, no way in heck I'd want cables on that.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Pilot points bought me those last winter... :D

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MAKE IT STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

20210218_102618.jpg

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Might want to brush those off

InTooDeep and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I delivered in Bend today. Took US 20.

Now I can’t sleep. Having nightmares. Woke up. Heard chains dragging. A voice saying: ‘I’m the ghost of snowstorms past. Then this ghost shows up inside my truck. Who is it? Dave! I asked him how the H! he got in my truck? He says he can go anywhere. He’s got snow chains. And his snow chains draped over him are ruining my seats! All that water from the snow/ice. He says the seats are the least of my worries. I gots to worry about the ghost of snowstorms present. I said well no S!... He says still got the ghost of snowstorms future to visit me also. Then I wake up in terror. :hal

Bud A., Dave_in_AZ, Cowboyrich and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    Bend is just frigging gorgeous this time of year ain't it!!!!:rolleyes:

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Seriously... would like to ask.
    Would it be better? Going to Portland from Boise. Take 20 to Bend. Then up to Portland?
    I’ve taken that freeway several times. It going through the passes is awful. I’ve seen a blizzard in the passes. When it wasnt snowing anywhere else. Going 10 mph in a long line of trucks to get through it.
    Then... you got the gorge. Wind is awful.
    Anybody consider 20 actually a better route? To Portland

10. Old mark

Old mark Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    20 is a much more scenic drive. If loaded heavy, takes more time and fuel.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Gone Bend to Boise more than a few times, but never Boise to Bend. Just take 84.

It must not have been to bad on you. Cause that stretch for about 60 or 80 miles east of Bend is the designated section of highway that Oregon saves money on, and does zero to it.

dwells40, WesternPlains and Cowboyrich Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.