Chains broke while driving.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chmpbt, Dec 27, 2017.

1. chmpbt

chmpbt Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I put on 4 chains and 2 of them broke off while I was driving.
    Why?
    The 2 that broke were on my trailer which have super singles.
    They seemed nice and tight.
    The only thing I can think of is that I should have rolled 500 feet and stopped again to recheck tightness... which I didn’t do.
    I did however, roll about 20 feet forward on them and retighten.
    Anyway, one of the broken chains punctured my tire. Sucked.

ccbg2013 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Ouch. Bad enough losing a chain. Worse is popping the tire. The real kick in the teeth, though, is that it was a stupid single...meaning you're stuck waiting on a service truck up on the pass in less-than-ideal conditions.

10speed4me, Oxbow, Grubby and 3 others Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You can actually put a chain on too tight, it needs to rotate a bit on the tire for expansion of heat and different terrain, so be careful of cranking them chains on real tight, you want snug so moving forward a quarter mile and checking them is advised. of course there is no chain stations set up to do that unless you go to the first spot you hit and then move up to the front of the line aand somebody just happens to pull out.

Grubby, chmpbt and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Twisted chains have a tendency to break.

Dan.S, RedRover, Grubby and 3 others Thank this.
  6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    chains just break because most of the time you have to run wet dry roads for a bit and then getting them broken links stuck in tires are a pain, I always did a check when I got thru the chain running areas and pulled the links out before they went in to deep, then have plugs ready for when they did go to deep.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This is true and very often the case with chains that were previously handled and stowed improperly.

It's hard to describe a "twisted tire chain" but if you can't lay it out flat and the cross links lays out even and uniform along both outside rails, end to end, there are no twists. A twist occurs when and end gets pulled up through the inside somewhere usually when being pulled out of a box or a bag

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You can't leave chains on very long. They are for short term use. Don't try to drive all day long on chains. They will break. They just plain won't last long on a truck. You also need to keep speed down on chains. They are for when you really need them.

mitmaks, Grubby, chmpbt and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. That's why I hate to see chains in bags or stuffed into a side locker.
    One of the best practises in chaining is to hang them carefully and evenly on the hangars when you put them away. If you hang them right they'll pull off the hangers with no twists or tangles.
    I know the temptation is to just slam 'em back on there quick and dirty...especially when you're cold and wet and just plain fed up with the snow... but you'll pay for it next time you have to use them.
    I learned that, like almost everything else I've learned, the hard way.

10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I honestly can't stand the new style Chinese chains. They wear even faster than old style with cams. These new no cams seem stupid. Think a budgie will keep them tight not really.

10speed4me Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I purchase and source chain from Austria. It's a little more pricey and a pair has the ice spikes.

As far as chains versus a super single, I have no experience with something that big. I would prefer that duals are used instead of SSs in snow.

Grubby, Lepton1 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.