Changed motor carrier, how to update registration?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jaguar011, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jaguar011

jaguar011 Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2015
    I am in process of changing motor carrier that I’m leased to. How I can update truck registration to the new motor carrier (safety part in the bottom left corner) ?
    Last time I paid 200$ to the registration service to do that and I’m thinking is it possible to do that myself.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Call your local state IRP office. When I switched carriers they told me not to worry about it until it was time to renew my registration/plate. This was in Michigan. I waited, had no issues and there was no extra charge. As long as the plates are paid and you have the new carrier lease with you and their supporting documents, I would not worry until you go to renew. But, still give the IRP a call, they probably changed something for all I know.

jaguar011 Thanks this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Not necessary to change it until renewal. Had a carrier get angry with me over this. A few guys went to another carrier who then lost the work so they came back here. One of them renewed his registration with their info before coming back.

He gets stopped in a roadside and the trooper ignores the door signs, sitting at his laptop with the guy's registration and he attributes the inspection to the carrier on the paperwork instead of our company.

The other carrier wanted me to fess up; like he never heard of Data Q.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.