Changing home terminals with swift

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TickleTimmyTruckin, Feb 19, 2024.

1. TickleTimmyTruckin

TickleTimmyTruckin Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    Hey yall, i’ll get straight to the point. I’m thinking of getting my CDL in a couple months thru swift, then putting a year into OTR. I mainly chose this company as i’ve heard they have a pretty good CDL school, and tons of terminals all over the US. I read on a few forums that it’s simple enough to change your home terminal working for these guys. My main deal is I really miss California. ( I know, i know, truckers nightmare, etc, i’ve heard it all ) Near the end of my first year with them, would it be possible to change my home terminal to one of the three in California and then move there, continuing working out of SoCal? I want to move there and after my time is up with swift get a local gig, but i don’t want to say #### it and just move there jobless, so i figured this could be a good way to get my foot in the door. Anyone else do something similar to this with swift or any other trucking companies?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    i am pretty sure @Moosetek13 had more knowledge of this than i do.
    but i dont think you will have any issues moving home terminals

gentleroger Thanks this.
  4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    ....unless they already have too many drivers out there. Still, staying with Swift for a full year is ####-near unheard of, so maybe you'll have that going for you. Last time I got out to S. Cal, Swift was 'experimenting' with some linehaul route where they drove rigs that were a short-nose day-cab, and a 57' trailer with a 6' setback kingpin, with tandems set at the 40' CA axle setting. Yup, that's a trailer with 11' of tail-swing, and 6' of nose-swing.....

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Lots of 57’s out there. But I’be only seen them pulled with cabovers because CA was making them stay under 65ft overall.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I started at Fontana, went to Otay Mesa, then when we moved to MN I transferred to Inver Grove Heights.
    When IGH shut down I went to Menasha, WI.

It has never been a problem switching terminals.
    Just make sure you remain safe, reliable and on-time so you are a desirable addition.

7. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.