Channel 9 no longer the emergency channel?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Vampire, May 22, 2024.

1. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    When I pass by channel 9, I hear mostly Spanish. It used to be anyone playing around on channel 9 would get a warning to stay off the emergency channel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LowBeam

LowBeam Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2023
    What you're hearing is most likely skip from outside the US. Ch9 emergency assignment is only for cb's inside US borders. FCC doesn't cover other countries

handlebar and Vampire Thank this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Cell phones and 911 replaced it.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    9 has been taken over by the mexicans in mexico, even up here I hear them. When I was in Texas, it was all I could hear.

Deere hunter and Vampire Thank this.
  6. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Back 35 years ago, I had a CB which could monitor CH9 as well as the channel you were on (for myself, it was CH19 in the US and in the English-speaking parts of Canada, CH12 in Quebec), and the ONLY CH9 call I ever answered was some dumb 4-wheeler who hit a deer. Here's how THAT went:

FW: Breaker nine, I need help!
    Me: What is your emergency?
    FW: I hit a deer.
    ME: Are you hurt? Is anybody in your vehicle hurt?
    FW: No.
    Me: Is your vehicle disabled?
    FW: No.
    Me: Is the deer dead and off the traffic lane?
    FW: Yes, and yes.
    Me: Well, then, I suggest you go to the nearest payphone and call your insurance company.
    FW: Shouldn't I make a police report?
    Me: Against who? Wildlife have no standing in the courts. A deer running out into the road is considered force majeur. Cops have important things to do, and the DOT cleanup crew will get the carcass next time they come through.
    FW: Shouldn't I call SOMEBODY?
    Me: You can call your mother, if it makes you feel better. This is an emergency channel, so please get off it. You don't have an emergency, you have an inconvenience.
    FW: #&%@ YOU!
    Me: Swearing on CB is a federal offence.

After that one and only CH9 call, I just gave up on it....

BTW, does anybody remember a time when there was this group called REACT? They used to monitor CH9 24/7 for REAL emergencies back in the 1970's...

7. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    Channel 9 hasn’t been an emergency channel for 30 years

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that stopped when the police stopped using CBs.

Dennixx, Vampire and ElmerFudpucker Thank this.
  9. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I've heard a handful of cops still monitor 9. Not sure if it's true.

Vampire Thanks this.
  10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If you are a company driver, call law enforcement, any time you hit a deer, bear, ferrel hogs, etc., anything that dents or scratches equipment. There will be a case # assigned to your call in, then your employer cannot hang you for equipment damage. A simple call to dispatch is not enough.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I fired a driver for pulling this crap, she claimed she hit a deer. $11,000 worth the damage to the front of the truck.

What happened was this - She had a drop at a customer with a ramp leading up to the dock door. you had to swing past a short bollard and a fire hydrant. This is another issue where the dock doesn't lock the trailer in. She backs into the dock and forgots to set the brakes or chock the wheels all because her daughter was on the phone and giving her crap. She gets out of the truck, goes into the building, they start unloading the trailer and the next thing you see is the truck moving towars the bollards and hydrant. BOOM!!! the truck glanced off the bollards, ripping up the hood and body parts as it rolled past them then hit the gaurd rail behind that. So she runs to the truck, backs it up, chocked the wheels and put the truck in park. She doesn't even look at the damage. She gets unloaded, and gets the hell out of Dodge. Gets down the road and the truck is just losing coolant. It died on the side of the road, she calls the cops to make a claim that she hit a deer, they never came out but they made a report and then she called into the office and acted like she hit a flock deer hard and we got the pictures, the truck is just a mess, it is ripped up no the right side. Because this is out west way, no one could see it up close and personal. The truck was towed 120 miles to a shop, she was picked up by uber and followed it to the shop, and we got a quote of $9800 for a new hood and all the other things which was increased with other things they found.

So about a week into this, I get a CD in the mail from the receiver, they were asking me if I was going to fire her. I watched the video, actually the entire staff watched the video and could not beleive it. At the same time the total for the 'accident' with the flock of deer came to $10,948. I had them put the old parts in the back of the trailer and put a seal on it for me then told her to bring it home, where she was confronted with the lie and the evidence. We could not find one peice of deer fur anywhere on any of the parts. She was fired for it.

Knucklehead Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.