Cheap Freight... What would you do?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by tomkatrose, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard everyone's comments about not hauling cheap freight but I just have to pose this question... Got a truck near Superior, MT. Nothing out of there except bulk bark. You're lucky to see above a buck a mile to a decent freight lane. Closest good lane is Salt Lake City, UT, 580 miles south. It's friday, driver has 20 hours before he needs a reset. Deadheading it to Salt Lake would cost $300 in fuel at 7.5mpg plus $232 for the driver, $532 total. Hauling cheap freight for $1 a mile would cost $377 in fuel at 6mpg and $232 for the driver, $609 total.

So out of pocket to deadhead is $532. Hauling cheap freight at a buck a mile is $29 out of pocket after the load pays and the truck is poised for a good lane Monday morning after the driver resets. So the question is, why would we not want to 'haul cheap freight' on this one? What part of the cash flow math am I missing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    Well. Before the freight nazis get ya. Here is my thoughts. Everyone's idea of cheap freight is different. Everyone's bottom line is different. You have to do what is best for you and your company, period. My personal favorite is the guy that boasts 2+ a mile freight yet it only goes 100 miles and he is on it for a day and a half. That's not making money and it's hauling cheap freight!!!! I know my point is sort of scattered but ya get my drift? I would for sure take that dollar a mile load to get you somewhere else. Ya have to do what ya have to do to make it work!!! So don't worry about what the pay per mile nazis have to say. Make your business work for you. You will never change these people that can't understand business.

4. HDFatboy

HDFatboy Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    PA
    1. wear and tear on your truck
    2. principle. why should the broker make money while you lose $29? Why should the shipper get their freight hauled for next-to-nothing? You are the one taking all the risk and covering the expenses.

5. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    I'm rock-headed i'd deadhead and next time you may want to consider where you take loads to. Although if you went in there with a good load,then that should cover the deadhead. For many years i ran 1 way loaded and did well. It is easier for an owner driver to deadhead as opposed to paying a driver. I paid my drivers %,plus 2 meals a day so usually it worked out fine for everyone.

FREEBRD and amscontr Thank this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Loose $539 while cutting off your nose to spite your face on the principle of, "I don't haul no stinkin' cheap freight!" Or... essentially break-even (-$29) pulling a low-paying load that pays for the fuel.

Hmmm...

Loose 5 bills or break even???

wichris Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    The reason for not taking it is that if noo one would take it at 1/mile they would have to raise the rate. Its the principal of it. If you take it for a buck then the broker might think hmm maybe I can get the next load done for. 95. Or no one covers it at 1 and he has to raise it up. What if someone came into your frieght lanes and started hauling out for a buck

8. rsconsulting

rsconsulting Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    See, and here's the REAL POINT...

How much did the LOAD IN PAY? Did you look and see what the freight:capacity ratio was at the destination, BEFORE you booked the load in?

This is where a lot of folks CONTINUE TO HARP that the business is not a "one load at a time" thing.

If you pulled the load IN - for 2.85 for a 1000 mile load (just throwing numbers out there), and then deadhead out the guy to SLC - then your $2.85 load, just turned into a 1,580 mile/$1.80 load (rate-wise).

Where is your "profit point" in operating expenses? The $.91 a mile for the fuel/driver to deadhead - versus the $1 a mile run (and you never said WHERE it was going). Is that run taking you INTO a good lane? Your "total cost of operation" isn't at $.91, when you factor in all your other fixed/variable costs.

Cheap Freight Nazi's or no - it's the LONG GAME that needs to be looked at. One "loser run" isn't going to kill you - but stack a few of those, back to back - or "justify" running $1 loads to yourself - and you start losing your butt in a negative P&L in the long run. So it requires "getting the rate" on the INBOUND LOAD - to be able to cost/balance taking the hit on the outbound (or just deadheading out).

Obviously, this is somewhat different when you're paying a driver too (even thought the Owner/Driver is supposed to be "paying" themselves too). OTOH - for $.40 a mile driver pay - I'll drive your truck and burn your fuel ANY DAY...

Rick

aiwiron Thanks this.
  9. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    His costs for maintaining a driver are a lot more than that. .34 cents a mile plus workmans comp. health insurance. I still think the loss of 29 bucks outweighs the 539.

10. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    Did you figure in the dead head miles to get to the buck a mile load plus time waiting to load and unload ? For me its just plain and simple, i will not put a load on my tucks that do not make a profit. Me personally i would dead head him to Salt lake rather than make some one else money at my expence. 95% of the time the moneys in the load but the broker knows its a bad area and can move it cheap and do.

11. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    You go to MT knowing you're going to haul cheap out or deadhead 90% of the time. Substitute MT for any number of other states/areas at certain times of the year. Even if you got $9 a mile going in why not get another $500-$600 on your truck. The ONLY time I wouldn't haul a cost covering load is if I could get another "good" load on significantly quicker by deadheading or if the load is just too much of a pain in the neck/ time consuming / hard on equipment.

If everyone said no, rates would come up some but reality is that some lanes are just always going to be a run cheap or deadhead proposition. So as someone said earlier, cut off your nose to spite your face and burn $500 or break even and regroup in a better area Monday? Seems like an obvious situation for me if you KNOW you're going to be able to get a good paying load out of Salt Lake.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.