Cheapest Legal Way to Get Address/Transfer CDL to Nevada

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Outis, May 5, 2024.

1. Outis

Outis Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I'd like to "relocate" to Nevada and transfer my CDL there. Lower Nevada like Mesquite, Vegas, or Pahrump.
    Relocate in quotes because I travel for work and am gone 12 months a year. I won't be at my residence no matter where it is. Choosing Nevada for having no state income tax, and also my job finds me work based on proximity and I prefer trucking the west.

I considered south dakota since they have a full time traveller affadavit if you use a personal mail box. But in Nov 2022 they started considering those personal mail box addresses invalid and they will notify your employer that your state tax status is invalid. Also SD isn't in the region I want to work in.

I guess at this point the easiest solution is to get an apartment for 30 days, put that address down to show I "live" there, then cancel the lease and get the mail forwarded to a PO box. Is that illegal to use an address you don't live at?
    Just seeing if there's an easier way besides wasting money to rent for 30 days on a place I don't really intend to live in or care about living in.

Right now, my dad lets me use his address in the state I'm from (there is state income tax). I'm never actually at my "home address", just need to put something on my license.

If you have done something like this in Nevada, or another state RECENTLY, (looking for current/valid info) like the past 2 years, please let me know how you did it.

TLDR, I want to get a license in Nevada because there's no state income tax. I don't really intend to "live" there, just want the cheapest way to get the license.

We work behind the scenes delivering this economy there should be some "truck driver opt out" of all state taxes. Considering we're not even in our home state most of the time.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I may be mistaken, there is some classifications of mail the USPS will not forward.

4. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    UPS Store rents mail boxes.
    And you use the stores address.
    They are more than happy to do your mail.

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The dmv software will know the ups store isn’t a real street address

I rented a mailbox at a mom and pop mini storage place.

It was a real street address and the dmv software didn’t flag it as a private mailbox .
    Call some independent mom and pop storage places and ask if they have mailboxes available .

the one I used also rented U haul trucks

tscottme and FLHT Thank this.
  6. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Got a buddy that uses a ups store and they printed it right on his license. Cant go to the post office and get one but you CAN use a ups store.

7. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I believe Chinatown has posted about Escapees RV Club previously. They suggest you consult an attorney to ask about all the legalities. You do have to make it clear your intent is to domicile in that state by changing your doctor, dentist, etc. to make it legit and to keep your previous state from coming after you for income tax, and Texas is a no income tax state.

Escapees Home · Escapees RV Club

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I used a small motel one time years ago in Ontario, Or. with their permission, to register my car in Or. I lived in Nampa, Id. With a small mom and pop operation, they are the only ones in the office so your mail won't be handeled by other employees.

tscottme and wis bang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.