check it out - new equipment

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Jan 17, 2015.

1. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Shouldn't the axle alignment been done at the factory?
    Or even By the dealer When they did the Pre delivery service?

I'd be making a warranty claim, if I was You............

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They have an easy out to avoid warranty on the axle alignment. It's considered dealer prep so really is something that should be negotiated at the sale. The factory just sets it "to spec" which is basically just eyeballing it because they have a production line going and don't want to spend the time to make it exactly right. So it's luck of the draw if you get one that doesn't side track or not. He said the only way they'd warranty it was if there was no adjustment in it and they had to shim the tandem slider to make it track true which they didn't have to do.

So I picked this up directly from the factory and it tracked to the right from day one. Even if i had picked it up at the dealer they would have blamed it on the delivery truck on the trip up running over something and not warrantied it. I'm always so careful to avoid curbs if at all possible but it was just a "gotcha" and I knew that going in - not going to win that battle. I can't believe I fell for the old "70 an hour" line anyways. My bigger gripe was $338 of "shop supplies" I considered a tad excessive for some krylon paint and mig wire.

I'm glad you guys mentioned the affects of braking on the rear air bags when braking. It was something I hadn't thought of but you're right. Anytime you hit the brakes you can watch any air ride trailer drop down from the brake drag pulling them that way. So hard braking could scuff the tires.

When I finished my 62 mile deadhead to the shipper yesterday I did notice it appeared the tires scuffed a tad but it didn't flat spot them. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe adjust that level valve up another half inch or so. I don't suppose it will hurt anything to adjust it up like that on trailer tandems since there is obviously no drive line to keep in line anyways.

double yellow Thanks this.
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Just watch your overall height when you adjust it.

5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    the other thing you can do is put lower profile tires on your lift axle once they need replacement

6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have a load tomorrow that's 6,000 lbs 265 miles. Test it out and see how it does.

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Man rc, they got you hard on a very simple install. I'm sorry to hear that, but i'd find another shop in the future.

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I thought it was important to protect the warranty. Really I don't think $2,000 was expensive or out of line for what it is and that's the price I was expecting on the high end. There's no way you're going to weld it on and run all the hoses in 5 or 6 hours I just don't see that but maybe you're right. There was $586 in charges above parts and labor for just the UBL install its self. FET $234.08, Shop supplies $88.70, environmental $4.00, local sales tax $120.06 and the alignment was $139.58 they were at 1.5 hrs labor on alignment $25.13 in parts and $9.45 misc. It is what it is. I'll make it back in no time.

9. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Every new trailer or tractor I get goes for a full alignment as soon as it hits the yard , trying to fight with dealers / factory about it not being done properly takes more time / money than just doing it yourself.

10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I didn't read through all 15 pages of comments in less than 24 hours so I don't know if someone has already mentioned it. I don't know the name of this specific valve but it will save your tires. ( I don't know much do I). You install this valve in your service brake air lines on the lifted axle. When the air bags on the lift axle are pressurized air is also sent to this valve. It cuts off any air that would go to the service brakes on the lifted axle. You end of with free rolling tires on the lifted axle. Note: do not get caught with this valve as it is illegal to do this. Years ago this valve cost only about $20. I will deny ever telling you this.

11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah that's exactly what they told me DOT frowns on that particular set up. I'm going to see how she rolls and go from there. The only thing that really bothers me is what happens during possible hard braking events.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.