checking disc brakes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, May 25, 2024.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    650k is when I first replaced the brakes on my old truck (a 2015). The pads and rotors still looked pretty good and were the originals but I didn't know any better and had already bought the parts so I replaced em. At 1.1 million when I sold the truck the second set still looked great.

However, the truck I recently bought had 500k on it when I bought it and the pads were about gone and rotors cracking.

snowwy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I got the Walmart endoscope working.

However. It's a tad thinner and flimsy.
    It'll need securement on a rod of some type. Otherwise. You're basically playing with a string. Be hard to run it through the rims and point it where you need it. 6 lights and resolution isn't the best. Don't expect to get too close to the patient.

The Amazon arrived today. It's stiffer (more like a snake) so it won't need a rod. And can be bent to the desired angle. Should be no problem running it through the rims. Much better resolution and 8 lights.

Amazon uses app called usee. It's a small square with phone straight up. Full screen with phone on the side. Clarity is great either way.

Walmart I found 4 apps to use. Only one will do full screen. Color endoscope. However. The bigger the pic. The less clarity.

Both cameras work with windows 11. Ulysses is the app. I don't have a 7, 8, or 10 machine to test. Both cams had good clarity on the laptop. Amazon was better though.

Walmart will more then likely be going back. I can't see a flimsy camera being very handy.

Walmart was $16 after shipping and tax. Amazon was $40 for overnight. $4 less if I wanted to wait 6 days.

Now for the test run.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    88 Alpha Thanks this.
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I wouldn’t worry to much about them.
    You will be surprised how much longer disc last compared to drums.
    When they start chattering or squealing is an indication of needing to be changed. also look at the disc for heat cracks and gouges.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.