Children on board

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Ramli, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Ramli

Ramli Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2018
    My niece is married to a truck driver she went on a trip with him and their 2 babies (1 year old ans 3 months old) she sent me a message asking me if a truck driver can get a ticket because he is traveling with all of them...where can i fi d more info on this????? Thx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok Real simple.

You are newbies out of school. No passenger period for a while.

Eventually you will earn the priviledge to go to HR and ask for a passenger waiver to sign. You will be given a form to give to ONE PASSENGER ONLY in that semi truck.

YOU ARE NOT, I repeat NOT ever to have anyone in that truck cab with you not previously cleared and approved plus waiver by the company. They will absolutely fire you if they catch you making haw haw with Lord Mooch in that cab somewhere in Memphis.

Babies? They go to day care at home. Then to school. There is no room for Babies in a big truck. Im sorry. Eventually they become little kids.

When you pull off Sandstone mountain halfway down in a roaring storm with dead bodies scattered in the left lane surrounded by bleeding wailing survivors of three mashed vehicles one of which is burning while one is still in another slowly burning to death... your children WILL BE DAMAGED. They will require years of counseling.

Also having the kids in the size of a walk in closet, not yet developing full bone structure through play outdoors etc you will be constantly viberating them, messing with their sleep, bad food and iffy hydreate plus poor sanitation etc. forget it.

In short, Kids + Big truck = FORGET IT. For their sake.

I have always taken the attitude that you can make babies and raise a family AT HOME wait until they turn 18 before you run off with a big truck.

You might be going into places where younger females and little boys become prey to be taken advantage of. Nuh it's not happening for their sake. Keep everyone home so that they will never be abused.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    okiedokie Thanks this.
  4. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Not sure about a ticket but most companies have an age reguirment due to insurance coverage, usually 16 y/o

x1Heavy and KillingTime Thank this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just gotta have one of these in the window.
    [​IMG]

Imadebail, austinmike and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I encourage you to watch these videos.

I hope the prosecutor finds this thread at your trial.

Imadebail and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Geez Dave, you trying to give her a coronary?!!

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well there's things that are dumb, and things that are just out right F stupid.
    I mean is this game?
    You and I have almost bought a few times through no fault of our own. What are you gonna do when a truck gets tagged and the infant goes sailing through the window on the sleeper? Say sorry?
    JFC.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Bend accident never touched his brakes prior to hitting trailer did he? No blue no rubber marks. Volvo wanted out and misjudged it very badly.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    First thing that jum to mind above any FMCSA regs are state passenger restraint laws. Those aged kids have to be restrained in a specific way by law in all (most?) states.

As for the FMCSA regs here you go:
    §392.60 Unauthorized persons not to be transported.
    (a) Unless specifically authorized in writing to do so by the motor carrier under whose authority the commercial motor vehicle is being operated, no driver shall transport any person or permit any person to be transported on any commercial motor vehicle other than a bus. When such authorization is issued, it shall state the name of the person to be transported, the points where the transportation is to begin and end, and the date upon which such authority expires. No written authorization, however, shall be necessary for the transportation of:

(1) Employees or other persons assigned to a commercial motor vehicle by a motor carrier;

(2) Any person transported when aid is being rendered in case of an accident or other emergency;

(3) An attendant delegated to care for livestock.

(b) This section shall not apply to the operation of commercial motor vehicles controlled and operated by any farmer and used in the transportation of agricultural commodities or products thereof from his/her farm or in the transportation of supplies to his/her farm.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  11. Hawkeye212

Hawkeye212 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2017
    My company has a 16 year old+ policy and only one at a time. Due to insurance and liability reasons. But others might be different. I was in Nebraska and saw a young couple coming out of a truck stop with 2 young ones, roughly the same age as you mentioned, and they got in a truck. Surprised me. I wouldn't want kids that young going OTR. Crying, bathroom/food breaks, boredom, accidents, etc.
    Now if it was a farmer and his little boy/girl making a day trip, no issue. But a week long one... No way

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.