China: Electric Vehicle Battery Charging Indoors Catches Fire

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Mar 4, 2024.

  1. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    68,868
    144,540
    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    0
    An electric bike battery caught fire while charging indoors in Jinan, Shandong on February 16. Home surveillance camera captured the moment the fire started and the ensuing explosion caused by the burning battery. Fire crews responded to the incident and extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported.
    China: Electric Vehicle Battery Charging Indoors Catches Fire And
     
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    68,868
    144,540
    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    0
    Common sense should know to never have a charger inside a garage that's attached to the home.
    Put it in a detached garage or detached carport.
     
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    68,868
    144,540
    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    0
    One upscale home in Tennessee burned to the ground when an electric skateboard caught fire inside the house while it was charging.
     
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Flat Earth Trucker

    Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

    3,754
    12,729
    Nov 19, 2018
    0
    Remember double A and triple A battery chargers? Those never caught fire or exploded. Unless misused.

    These batteries nowadays cause so much mayhem. Gotta wonder if they aren't specifically constructed to do so.
     
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Tb0n3

    Tb0n3 Road Train Member

    4,107
    7,758
    Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    0
    It's a matter of energy density and discharge capacity/internal resistance. The faster a battery can discharge its contents the more that can go wrong when it is shorted. More energy flow means more heat and the lithium ion polymer cells which are most common in high discharge applications have a volatile catalyst that catches fire within the temperature range of a shorted cell. A lot of applications are switching to lithium iron phosphate which doesn't seem to catch fire in the same way so is much safer. The downside to it is the lower maximum output and capacity per volume. All that means is you get less range for the same size battery pack.
     
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.