Chinese trailers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zinita17601, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    As long as they are built to American standards and pass a DOT inspection you are good to go. All trucks and trailers on the road have to pass an annual inspection anyway.

Get a broker that knows what they are doing. The price you see on line is likely ex-factory. You need to get a price FOB port of export. FOB means "Freight On Board". There are costs associated with getting your shipment on board, the factory may need to pay export taxes, then there's drayage to the port, etc.

If you plan to buy just one the total cost will be quite a bit more than the price you saw on line to get it delivered. If you plan to start importing them to sell, then plan on visiting the factory several times a year. Get local agent to babysit your production, preferably one that specializes in quality control and inspections.

I can't tell you how many times I was approached by well intentioned newcomers to the import business that thought those cheap Chinese prices were going to make them money. Most failed because they vastly under estimated the total cost and failed to take into account overseas factories have minimum order requirements just to start their machinery. If the trailers need to be modified to American standards, then expect to pay tens of thousands of dollars up front for new tooling.

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Yep just what we need here. More Chinese junk, this time in the form of a trailer.

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Order quick, before the wall goes up

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I hear "Chinese trailer" and this is where my brain immediately went: 2ad38dc14a56938df699d5a93bfd_Content.jpg

6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I checked into it one time. It's a big ordeal to get the paperwork done but if you hire a overseas freight forwarder, they will handle all the paperwork for you.

The Chinese quality has came a long ways in the recent times. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of the quality. They have gotten so good a copying name brand designs, most of the name brand parts will work on the Chinese trailers.

What finally got me is I didn't trust the Chinese. The way these things usually work is you pay at least a third when you order and pay the remainder when you receive it. Your recourse is rather limited if they just take your money and run. IMO, there is a lot of risk buying a big ticket item from a country like China, a lot more so than buying from most of the European countries. Most of the times the trailer isn't built until you order, that makes it 6 months or more before delivery. You also have to worry about Chinese trade relations going south while you are waiting on your trailer. It would be a lot different if they had retailers here in the states where you could actually deal with Americans in America than dealing directly with the Chinese.

What we were looking at was some Goldhofer Chinese copies. You can buy one of these "Chinese Goldhofers" new for half the price you can buy a used real Goldhofer. They welcomed me to come and take a tour of the plant but I have zero desire to travel to China. The Chinese fellow still sends me emails from time to time, heck of a nice guy, but I still don't trust him. I had every cost and everything worked out to start the order but I bailed.

If somebody wants to start importing these trailers and selling them in the US, I'd be willing to talk to them about a deal but I won't pay a dime until the trailer is sitting in the Continental US and I can actually lay my hands and eyes on it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    cnsper, Derailed, brian991219 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Yup,nobody will start machinery to build one trailer.It is still an interesting bussines idea.I am not talking about China but about my country of origin.That company started building trailers in 1996 and already is one of 10 biggest manufacturers in Europe.I recently spent 2 months in my c.o.o and could visit their factory as it's within 50 miles from where my family lives.
    They would probably have to design trailers for US markets as every single trailer I saw in Europe had 3 axles.I think they are also shorter because I measured their combinations (cabover+trailer) with my feet and their lenght was 50 of my feet.
    Too bad I lack capital because with current rate of currency exchange there probably would be some money to be made.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I got ahold of a couple Hyundai trailers in 99 ( dry vans ).
    First one the tandems slid right out out of the rails and the other the hub oiler fell off backing into a dock ...junk .

9. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    Is it Called The Wung ## Ching Chong Ding Dong 9000X Wu Feng?

thejackal Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I eventually worked up to Net 60 with factories in China. Rather than a third down at least go for a Transferable Letter of Credit At Sight. That is a bank to bank instrument where your bank will pay their bank "at sight" of the documents required in the letter of credit. Typical documents include a bill of lading from the ocean shipment, all necessary documents for customs clearance, and any other documents you may require such as a quality inspection report from a certified inspection agent. Once your bank has paid the L/C the documents are released to your broker for customs clearance.

Ruthless and m16ty Thank this.
  11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.