Choosing an OTR starter mega-carrier for a travel lover with no family ties

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by XenonOxide, Sep 13, 2022.

1. XenonOxide

XenonOxide Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2022
    Hey guys, I've been lurking in the forums for a while but this will be my first post.

I currently live in SoCal and am progressing well in CDL school and look on track to get my CDL A. I've been doing some research on jobs that accept new CDL A graduates for OTR positions.

For my personal needs, I don't care that hugely about pay rates (obviously higher is better lol but I'm not picky and I'm not a big spender). What attracted me to this career is the chance to travel around the country to as many states as possible, to seek new challenges, and because I wanted to do this before I get too old and tired.

I read that it's possible for you to take home time anywhere at all if you discuss with dispatch. I actually don't want to be routed back "home" to the same spot most of the time.

What I'm looking for is a company that has the maximum amount of variety in terms of places that they can route you to for home time.

I'm also looking if possible for flexibility in schedule -- i.e., I don't mind being on the road for long stretches of weeks and months if that means that my "days off" can be bunched together rather than spread out. (Yes I know there are psychological challenges to being on the road for so long continuously but I've thought very hard about it and about my personal needs)

What should I be looking for to find the best fit? Are bigger carrier better for this, presumably? My top 2 on the short list is Schneider (I heard they treat the drivers relatively okay for a mega, and because of their size and also because they have terminals in lots of states, I am assuming that means they have variety of routes) and Freymiller (they advertise that they have the longest reefer runs in the industry, which I assume means that they will send you far, but I can't find any info about how many terminals they have so I don't know how varied their routes are).

Are there any other companies that fit my needs? Also I'm mainly looking to start with dry van or reefer. I may consider flatbed. Not ready for tanker yet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider pay is too low.
    Refrigerated and Flatbed is best for travel and better pay.

snowmantrucking101 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Melton Truck Lines is flatbed and runs 48 states.
    Hires new cdl school grads.
    Premiere OTR Flatbed Trucking Company - Melton Truck Lines
    Take your home time anywhere with few exceptions! Your home domicile is not the only place you can take home time.
    CDL school tuition reimbursement.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Leonard's Express is a good reefer outfit that runs 48 states.
    @xlsdraw drives for Leonard's.
    Home - Leonards
    Recent CDL A Graduates have a home at Leonard’s Express!
    Leonard’s offers a cdl school tuition reimbursement program up to 10K!
    [​IMG]

Blue jeans, xlsdraw and XenonOxide Thank this.
  6. XenonOxide

XenonOxide Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2022
    Thank you! Leonard's express looks really good, not sure why they didn't come up in my research. Great find!

xlsdraw and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @XenonOxide --

Schneider veteran driver here.

Now, I'm a fuel hauler (but NOT for Schneider).

Just because Schneider has a lot of terminals and dropyards....doesn't necessarily mean they will run you all over.

Since you're out in California--my experience suggests they will (mostly) keep you out in the far west.

@Six9GS can probably give you some really good feedback on Swift.

Your odds of seeing all the "lower 48" are much better with Swift....than with Schneider.

Swift has both dry van and reefer divisions.

Plus....Swift has A LOT of terminals and dropyards--a HUGE advantage for a beginning driver, like you.

In case you didn't see it, already--Swift and Knight Transportation are now basically like Jack and Jill--so that would give you access to all of Knight's terminals, as well.

All together--that's an awful LOOOOOOOTTT of different places to log off duty, and call it a day.

Moreso....I would submit...than pretty much anywhere else, for a newbie.

Personally, I wouldn't wish reefer duty on my worst enemy. :confused:

But.....different strokes for different folks.

--Lual

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Snowshoes Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    lol.....love reefer driving; did it for 18 yrs. and never got tired of it.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.