Choosing an OTR starter mega-carrier for a travel lover with no family ties

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by XenonOxide, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  3. XenonOxide

XenonOxide Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2022
    Thank you!!!! I admit I let the Swift memes get to me when I drew up my shortlist but your insight into this sounds great.

Also good heads up on Schneider. I wouldn't want to be kept mostly in the far west, I'm kinda sick of this landscape like 5 years ago

4. No_worries

No_worries Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2015
    When I started 25 years ago, I enjoyed a lifestyle like you describe. Seeing the country through your windshield is one thing but, if you intend to get away from the truck throughout the county, the two biggest things are size of the terminal network and time-off flexibility. I loved to get away from the truck for a few days in different places, rent a car, and stay in hotels. In most cases, you need a safe and secure place to park your truck. As for time off, back then 1 day off for every 7 out was pretty standard, but I see companies offering several different options today. If you've got the freedom, both from home ties and financial obligations, you can make life on the road quite the adventure.

lual and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The above is (in part) why I earlier suggested the Swift (and Knight) idea.

Their combined terminal network for the most locations is probably a pretty tough one to beat.

--Lual

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I went thru nashville, Tn probably about 25 times before I could actually stop and spend the night or a day. So lots of sightseeing from the interstate hwy. The loads gotta go!

homeskillet Thanks this.
  7. XenonOxide

Sep 13, 2022
    I get that. I wasn't under the impression that I could get tourist type sightseeing on the runs/jobs. That's why I'm interested in taking home time at various terminals so that I can do the sightseeing on my days off

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't count on time off at terminals. I would avoid terminals. They usually have some garbage loads no one that's assigned to that terminal wants, so you get them. The terminal manager simply calls your terminal manager and says he needs you for a few days and it's a done deal. Happens all the time.
    I've seen drivers leave their truck & trailer at another terminal for a couple of days. When they return to hit the road, the trailer is gone. The terminal where you parked needed an empty trailer and took yours. Perfectly legal, it's a different terminal, but still the same company.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I looked at Jim Palmer trucking. They do/did haul a lot of freight for Prime, Inc. Both companies had a similar "home-time" policy. Essentially you earn 1 day off for every week you work. I think you need to stay working for at least 4-6 weeks. You can work longer, but back when I was considering them they limited you to no more than 7-10 days off, no matter how many days you earned. You just needed to tell the company what zipcode you planned to take home time and park the truck in a place that met certain conditions. Your home time did not have to be the same spot as any previous/future home time. It could be a different place each time.

I also started as single and no family commitments. Don't make promises about how long you can work without a break until you start doing it. I worked the first several years with a virtual guarantee of being home every weekend, with voluntary exceptions. Even single drivers need time off. My last trucking job I worked for 14 months with one 10-day period off for Thanksgiving in 2020. I worked 10 months straight after that Thanksgiving. You will go crazy if you don't get out of that truck.

10. XenonOxide

Sep 13, 2022
    @Chinatown I don't really understand though. Like, we're talking about your days off, right? Like the actual time when you're not working on a run at all.

Why does it matter whether you take your home time at the same terminal every 1-2 months or at a different one?

@tscottme haha that does sound intense!! When I said I'm interested in longer runs I mean more like working up to 3 months straight rather than the 3-6 weeks on the road at a time that seems to be standard for OTR. But 10 months straight does sound too much! I definitely don't intent to go for that. How did you live lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.