Choosing between different schools [Need opinions].

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Orian sport, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Bison is a big company with terminals across the country.

Really, I wouldn't worry about finding a job. Like I said - those driving schools are farm teams for fleets. They will find you the job. And yes, fleets visit the schools - on occasion. More of a job-fair kind of thing.

Orian sport Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Orian sport

Orian sport Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017
    So Bison just emailed me back and said that I could go through their training program. Here is part of the letter they sent me.

Driver Finishing Program Summary

During the initial 13 weeks of training, drivers taking part in Bison’s Driver Finishing Program (DFP) will attend orientation and work through three phases of training with an In Cab Instructor (ICI). These phases include city, regional and long haul training. Regular reviews are held with the ICI, a member of our Driver Development team and program participant to maintain communication and training evaluations. While working with the ICI, program participants will receive one on one training and are required to do the majority of the driving and customer/dispatch communication. All training is completed as a single driver, no team driving takes place during training. All our tractors are equipped with bunk beds, providing accommodations for both parties during training.

On average our long haul trips keep our professional drivers on the road 5-7 days. During training we ensure experience is gained on Hwy 17 and in the Rockies. These trips may extend the average days out to allow the needed transit time.

Once program participants have completed their initial 13 weeks of training, a road test will be conducted to assess current skill level. Successful completion is required to move onto the next phase (Stage 1) of the program.

Stage 1 will keep participants within a 600 mile radius of their home terminal. During this stage, program participants will be in a slip seat position requiring a different unit to be used for each trip while maintaining the expectation of being available for 24 days per month. Successful completion of a road test is required to move onto the next phase of the program.

Stage 2 will keep participants within a 1000 mile radius of their home terminal. During this stage, program participants are eligible for an assigned unit. The option of slip seat also remains available. Successful completion of a road test is required to move onto the next phase of the program which will remove all operating radius restrictions.

Driver Finishing Program – Pay Structure

For the first 13 weeks with an In Cab Instructor participants receive a flat rate of $800.00 per week before taxes.
    Stage 1 Pay Scale Estimated Stage Earnings $875 gross per week, based on 2300 miles

From week 13 to week 26 you are paid $0.33 per mile in Canada with US and lane based premiums applying per mile plus the additional pay of $30.00 for your loading/unloading and $8.00 for your loaded border crossings.

During this time you will earn an additional $0.06 per mile that will be awarded as a program completion bonus after 24 months of employment.

Stage 2 Pay Scale Estimated Stage Earnings $1000 gross per week, based on 2500 miles

From week 27 to week 51 you will be paid $0.36 per mile in Canada with US and lane based premiums applying per mile plus the additional pay of $30.00 for your loading/unloading and $8.00 for your loaded border crossings.

At this time you will be eligible to be assigned tractor, if you choose to stay slip seating you will be paid $0.42 per mile.

During this time you will earn an additional $0.03 per mile that will be awarded as a program completion bonus after 24 months of employment.

Second Year of Training Estimated Earnings $1100 gross per week, based on 2700 miles

Once Stage 1 and 2 are successfully completed, participants move to a Long Haul pay scale of $0.40 per mile in Canada plus US and lane based premiums per mile apply plus additional pay of $30.00 for your drops and pick up’s and $8.00 for loaded border crossings.

The Driver Finishing Program requires commitment to a two year training contract. Please speak to a Recruiter to find out more information.

4. KK416

KK416 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    At OTTA in Mississauga, we only had two companies come talk to us in the two months I was there--Cisco and Schneider

Orian sport Thanks this.
  5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    You need to really flesh out those numbers. We have had a number of drivers come over from bison that bailed midway through their 2 years. They own you those two years. If you can handle that, and the low pay, two years accident free you can go anywhere you want.

BeCool and Orian sport Thank this.
  6. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I don't like the idea of mixing training and employment. BTW, some companies will hire a new driver and then provide a partial tuition reimbursement after a year of safe driving.

Also 13 weeks of training sounds good - BUT spending extended amounts of time with a trainer is difficult at best (sleeping in a small cab with another guy is just not fun - unless you're a military guy and then I guess you're used to that sort of thing.)

Slip-seating a highway truck can also be brutal. I've seen some pretty smelly and filthy individuals driving trucks. Also, long-distance driving is much easier if you have a truck set up the way that you'd like. Things like a microwave, a good water supply, spare food and tools will make you life a lot easier. You're going to have to scrimp on all of the above if you slip-seat.

I won't even mention the joy of landing a beater of a truck - or maybe just a bad mattress. All things you will have to deal with if you slip-seat.

If I was to do it all over again, I'd still choose a school and then choose a company. But that's me.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  7. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Whe I was at TTCC we had 3 Companies send reps and there more who came to different groups later while we were in the trucks. That Bison money doesn’t sound very good, I was making better than that by the second month of driving solo. Mind you Im doing heavy flatbed which is harder work but for me its about the money. Contrans has a 6 week training program and they graduate the trips and loads as you gey more experience, I wont be able to haul to the US until I have a year under my belt and I think the same goes for pulling B trains.

8. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Also no contract or commitment but I am signed up for the one year transport apprenticeship

9. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    As a former Bison driver, who did DFP (and bailed), I would avoid Bison at all costs; unless its comes down to Bison, Challenger, Arnold Brothers or TransX. Being in Ontario, you have tons of options, that will be way better than Bison. Hyndman Transport for example, I had a bad experience with one of their recruiters, so I went to Bison back in the day instead. The friends who went to Hyndman made more money, drove better non-slip seated trucks, and had better runs. Hyndman advertises a base rate of 0.36cpm to Bison's 0.39. But the lane premiums and such, your average at Hyndman is closer to 0.47 while Bison is 0.43.

The DFP program, has to be one of the biggest scams going. If you went to a decent school, you will MAYBE do 6 weeks of training, then go slip seat for 8 MONTHS!!!! (they say 6, but add 2 more months, since you did well in Training, go figure eh?) at 0.33cpm. The trucks are junk, and filthy, Bison has no cleaning or detail program what so ever (or even a washbay at the terminals). In Training you get paid net $640/week salary, once you go slip seat, expect 5/3 schedule making roughly 5-700net a week for that 8 months. Some weeks will be worse, since they will burn off your 70 in 4.5 days, so you have a bunch of extra days off during the pay period.

Once you get an assigned unit and a raise, its not much better. Since the truck doesn't have to be back for someone else to drive; they can dick you around endlessly. expect 500-800/wk net, maybe 1000 if you get a solid 5 day plan at the start of the pay period. Just be aware they are going to share your assigned truck with everyone and their dog, sometimes people will be waiting for your "assigned truck" with all your stuff in it; as you roll into the terminal. You will also be run ragged, the travel times are never doable, so most guys are taping a bottle to their dick and eating while driving from a cooler beside the seat.

If you survive the 2 years, they will try and not pay you your pay hold back escrow. This happened to every single DFP I know, and its just downright shady. They gamble too see if you know what the payout is supposed to be, half it, and claim it was an "account error" if you #####.

They will literally say anything to get you in the seat, and keep you there. They told me I could go turnpike early, get dedicated runs to Cali, AZ, NV, that I could get on a Pacific NW short haul fleet and make 1500/wk net, etc etc etc. All Lies, not one driver, DFP or not with less than 5 years of taking their dick, would ever get anything but open board OTR or OTR Reefer. Reefer fleet is a disaster, which claims to pay more, but trust me; its not worth the headache with how they run things.

Also if you bail, expect to get sued and have collections sent after you, for whatever amount of money they decide you somehow owe them.

Quite the introduction to trucking I tell ya.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have done Heyl or Bison.

I would have gone to the same amazing school, and I would have gone to either Hyndman, Schneider or ERB.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Reason for edit: added more information.
  10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Thank you for posting first hand experience. Talking to the applicants I road tested from bison( all failed, btw) the echoed the same experiences. You have to flesh out the numbers.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  11. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Np, it was a huge mistake on my part. But in the depths of the recession out here in Alberta, it was easy to get lured in. I also thought being that I do a good job, a safe job at trucking, maybe they would reconize that (not even a little bit). IE I had 10 points on my hiring road test with them, 0 on my 3 month, 0 on my 6 month and 0 on my 1 year road tests. I never had a preventable, an accident or a bad call in or a at fault late. Still treated me like absolute ####, and took away all my good US work, so I could run Hwy 3 Walmart multi-drop endlessly; since the majority of their "drivers" can't back into docks.

I should re-post this in the "bad trucking company" forum lol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.