Choosing between XPO and DOT Foods as a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Daycab Papi, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Daycab Papi

Daycab Papi Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2024
    Hello fellow truckers! I recently obtained my CDL and, I've come across two potential job opportunities and would greatly appreciate some advice on which one might be the better fit for a rookie like myself.

Option 1: XPO Line Haul
    - Route: Sparks, NV to Sacramento
    - Pay: $31.26 per hour while on the dock, 88cpm while driving

Option 2: DOT Foods California/Nevada Regional
    - Unsure on pay but most likely considerably less

If anyone has experience with either of these companies or has insights into what might be the better choice for a rookie CDL holder, I would be extremely grateful for your input.

BillyBobFrank Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    In the current CDL job market for rookies -- choose the one that WILL ACTUALLY HIRE YOU.

it is currently NOT a driver's job market.

Also: to qualify for the XPO position -- you will need ALL the relevant CDL endorsements: tanker, hazmat....& doubles/triples.

The XPO position will likely be the exact same run -- night after night after night. Thus -- boredom may soon become an issue, depending on your personality.

The other, DOT Transportation, can be fairly picky about who they finally bring on board.

-- L

4. Daycab Papi

Apr 23, 2024
    Thanks for the insight L. I passed the road test for XPO last Friday and got the job offer today. I have a second interview this Friday with DOT. I'm wondering if it's a waste of time to go to the second interview now that I officially have a offer w XPO

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is the DOT terminal? Near your home?

6. Daycab Papi

Apr 23, 2024
    Very insightful Chinatown, I currently live in the Central Valley in CA, and the DOT terminal is about 90 miles from my house. For XPO I would be relocating to Sparks NV

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with XPO then. No state income taxes in Nevada and no food taxes at the grocery store.

bryan21384, Hatt91, dosgatos and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Where and when did you work for XPO? Because this wasn't my experience. I mostly went from my home Service Center to one other one, but frequently had a 'via,' which had me visit other Service Centers on either my outbound or return trip. And depending on freight volumes and other drivers' vacation schedules, I covered their runs and after a few months I had been to about a dozen locations.

One thing I did like about mostly going to the same facility was that I got to know the drivers who loaded at the neighboring doors, and the dockworkers. So it was more friendly and sociable than a driving job where you're mostly alone in the truck, and might not have shippers or receivers you see more than occasionally. What I particularly appreciated as a new employee was that my more experienced coworkers were very good about helping a rookie learn the job. So I think it's a good place to get your start. Personally, I found working the dock to be more challenging and stressful than the driving. When I got my BOLs and walked off the dock to build my set for my return trip, I felt like I was leaving work for the day, and could look forward to a relaxing drive home.

XPO does a 4% 401k match after one year's service, and has an employee stock purchase program at I think a 5% discount to what the stock is trading at. They reimburse your CDL school tuition after you complete six months with them.

There were often weekend linehaul only (no dock work) trips if you wanted a sixth day.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Daycab Papi Thanks this.
  9. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Take the XPO job. Call the recruiter at DOT and thank them for the job offer, but you have decided to go in another direction. Never burn a bridge....

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Sparks to Sacramento........135 mi, so you could do 2 turns a night (or day) Probably will be 1 turn unless they be busy. I would really consider winter weather going over Donner, weather your chaining or traveling with weekend 4 wheelers along side you. Or even sitting in a rest area waiting for the highway to open. Luck to 'ya

Daycab Papi Thanks this.
  11. Daycab Papi

Apr 23, 2024
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm fully aware of the challenges ahead, and it feels like I'm starting my driving career on hard mode. If I can navigate through this first year safely, I should be a pro at winter mountain driving and chaining. The guy I went on the road test with mentioned that as long as I go slow and avoid riding the brakes too much, I should be okay. He also mentioned that this route is like a rite of passage at that terminal. I really appreciate your message, and I'll do my best to stay safe out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.