Choosing the Best CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Basic13, Jun 21, 2009.

1. K2DMG

K2DMG Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ROCHESTER, NY

Gosh you are really something. I thought I was talking to the person who started the thread.

You have a serious problem. Why do you get so defensive over everything? You should have known I was talking to the other guy and not you. You sir need a good swift kick in the ###. This is the Internet not a boxing ring. Your attitude is not needed in this online forum.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clantonman1983

clantonman1983 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    And I suppose your going to give it to me? :biggrin_25512:

geez man, don't take it so personal. atleast your not as bad as Gadfly. :biggrin_2559:

4. Basic13

Basic13 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Surprise, AZ
    Gentlemen....my thread is getting sidetracked....LOL

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know I have done a little bit of reconsideration.

I think I am going to forget about mounting the cb on the jetta, I figured I am really only going to ever use it on my jeep.

I went into a cb shop today, talked to a guy who seemed to know his stuff. He explained the midland is very limited, her recommended the Cobra 29 or the Cobra 25. For a few dollars more it seems like the 29 would make sense but it is really large, as for the SWR ability I doubt I would ever use that anyways.

I think I am going to get a Cobra 25, he said that he could hook up the unit to use the cigerette ac plug...any reason not to hook it up like that?

5. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Hi Basic13

I personally recommend a Cobra 25 radio or a Uniden 68. And I also recommend for an antenna a Wilson 1000.

I recommend these because IMO the Wilson 1000 is the best all around antenna as is the Cobra 25/Uniden 68.

Not sure how compact you want to get but the two radios I mentioned are fairly small but not as big as a Cobra 29.

Yes the only real difference between a Cobra 25 and a 29 is the 29 has the built in SWR meter which is really not very accurate....and you ALWAYS should use an external meter when checking/setting SWR.

You can do the cigarette lighter plug dead, the reason it's avoided is because when you hook the radio directly to the battery, there's less change of noise induced into the radio which makes it hard to hear others.....and also because there's less electrical loss since it's coming from the source and not thru a maze of wires.

6. dgarrett0008

dgarrett0008 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia
    Hey truckers, I am going to USA for training soon and I was wondering which CB is the best to have over the road and why? thanx for the advice everyone.

7. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    A good inexpensive radio that will last several years and do as good a job as any is a cobra 25 or 29 ltd classic. Hard to go wrong with either one.

8. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    hey man it wont let me send u a message

when did u end up finishing school? and what happened with payday and junior and dan the man

9. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Which CB is best depends on what you want.

For a starter, a Cobra 25 or 29 like mentioned is good. Or a Uniden PC 68/78 is also a good radio and basically the same as a Cobra, just a little cheaper.

dgarrett0008 Thanks this.
  10. dgarrett0008

dgarrett0008 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia
    I finished the same day as you and you never signed my hat.......Payday and junior are still there. Payday keeps calling me everyday.......

11. drkwlf1969

drkwlf1969 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Anniston, Alabama
    My personal vehicle had a lil wil and a cobra 19 and it did awesome...I live in the mountains and I got 2-4 miles with clarity. Of course on the highway, I got my Connex 4600 Turbo with Stryker Antenna and 18' coax, and some other goodies...but its for the job...lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.