Choosing the Best CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Basic13, Jun 21, 2009.

1. boeing46

boeing46 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Garden Grove, Ca.
    All very good info but a great antenna sucks if it doesn't have a good SWR.
    $100 is very cheap. I think he should go up to $150 for a better radio, antenna and a professional tune.
    He will be much happier for the extra $50.
    A Cobra 25-29 and a Wilson 1000 will work for years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lightninrod

Lightninrod Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Warner Robins, GA
    [​IMG]

That's the CB we have in our Murano. It's a very small, Cobra 19 DX IV. The internet shop I bought it from tuned and aligned and it works very well, feeding a Lil Will set right in the middle of the roof. I've received traffic info from truckers at about 5 miles away. Transmit works about that far too if channel 19 isn't too crowded.

I plug it into the cigarette lighter port. IMO, that's adequate for 4 watt CBs. Now exports; that's a whole nother situation and my two exports are connected directly to the vehicle's battery.

And, PM me if you want the dealer.

4. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    Unidens have always given me trouble-free service, but if you want a 'big' radio, go with a Galaxy DX48T or something like that. Forget their 949's and 959's, pure crap. My 959 was a dog. My 48T was a jewel.

dgarrett0008 Thanks this.
  5. btb601

btb601 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Joplin, Missouri
    I have a Galaxy DX48T. Can I talk to the CB boys in my Jeep club???
    I am radio dumb. I bought it in 02 peaked and tweaked and never installed.
    If not I would like to sell. Thanks

And if I can talk, can you point me to info on all this stuff is on this radio. One question would be, can I turn down the power went other Jeeps are close so I do not fry the equitment?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    As long as it's been converted over to the CB band (11 meters, or 26.965-27.405 MHZ) you can use it. However be advised it's an illegal radio once it's been modified.

If it's not been converted, then it will only transmit and receive on the 10 meter (ham) band. Which if caught using on the 10 meter band w/o a ham ticket you could be facing some serious fines.
    Best thing to do is attach a frequency meter and see if it will take you to the frequencies I told you to check for.

7. btb601

btb601 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Joplin, Missouri
    Thanks turbo-t
    Thinking maybe its been converted. I bought it from Premiere Electronics , ST Cloud, MN
    xxx.premierepelectronics.net

Invoice date: 12/10/02
    \
    ITEM NO..............................................................DESCRIPTION........................................PRICE
    Galaxy 48t............................................................ Galaxy DX48T 10 meter radio....................379.00
    Convert Freq..........................................................Upgrade...................................................10.00
    Megatune..............................................................Power Tune and Upgrade............................29.99

Any ideas?
    I still have it in the box in came in and never took it out but to look at it.
    Also, what's the big deal on a ham license? Plus dont care about it, just the cb part.
    I don't have it hooked up or ever. Don't have a frequency meter, looked in yellow pages and google.....no cb shops here in Joplin, mo

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  8. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    If it has had the frequency conversion done then yes it talks on 11 meter band. I have one of these radios and man it is talker for sure. Great radio all around. Put the band switch on "E" and go to channel 19. If you here truckers then yes it definitely has the frequency mod done. If not it is not hard to do only a small jumper to move to convert it. Keep the band switch on "E" and you'll have the 40 11 meter cb channels and you'll be fine. If you go on any other of the lettered bands those are ham bands and that is a NO NO. Some of those bands are military bands also. The power can be turned downed by the switch in the upper left corner by the meter. The outside dial is your RF Power and the inside is your talkback which you can also adjust or turn off completely. You will not "fry" anyone elses equipment by running full power but they may have trouble understanding you if your right on top of them otherwise you should have no issues if it was tuned properly.You must be sure to get your swr's set very low or you could fry your own radio. That radio requires a VERY LOW swr because it has 2 transistor finals which means it has a built in amp basically. I would advise you to set your swr's with a different radio and then hook it up as to not dmage it trying to set swr's. Any other questions just ask. BTW mine does 125 RMS watts ( average watts ) and it does 215 Peak these #'s are on a bird meter.

9. btb601

btb601 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Joplin, Missouri
    thanks for the info. I'm sure I will need help as there is not shops around that I have found. Kind of funny with all the truckers around here. Thanks again.....

10. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
  11. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    go over to one of the truck stops at ex.11 and ask a driver if there is a shop around

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.