Cigarette smoke clean-up in a 2023 Cascadia

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ConsciousTrucker, Oct 6, 2022.

1. ConsciousTrucker

ConsciousTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Howdy! I have always been highly sensitive to cigarette smoke/residue. My company just assigned me a new truck – only 28k miles! – but the driver before me smoked inside it for the 10 weeks or so he had it.

The first night i woke up with clogged sinuses.

So the second day, I left all 4 windows open while driving 10 hours.
    The second night i woke up with my eyes burning and tears streaming.

Can someone please help me locate every relevant air filter, along with any other techniques or products that will help neutralize the cigarette smoke residue in my truck?

aussiejosh, D.Tibbitt and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    For cleaning up I would use swiffer jet pads. They work great on getting smoke smells out far as filters I'm not sure.
    Also if cloth seats get a carpet cleaner on em.

austinmike Thanks this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Problem with the smoke is it gets into the padding behind any materials like ceiling or walls
    Gets into the vents

I would only buy used non smoker trucks or new for just that reason but there are spray products that you can spray into the ductwork inside and fresh air intake. Google that
    Also burning a candle with vent fans on pulling that in might help. But a good candle not cheap as the oils are different
    Like cheap cologne

Just a couple ideas

silverspur, Siinman, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Tekna

Tekna Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Texas
    Car dealerships use ozone machines and they work really well if you can run it over night. They sell them on Amazon but are expensive.

6. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I tried really hard on a truck i had. Cleaned everything. Removed as many panels as I could. I even bought an ozone machine. As soon as the sun warmed up the truck the smell came back. It’s impossible to get rid of completely.

7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I bought a truck that had been smoked in even though I don’t smoke and don’t like the smell. (It was a good deal) Anyway, I’ve had it for 2 years and put 150,000 miles on it. I don’t notice the smell anymore but my wife comments on it every time she gets close to it with the door open. Hard to get rid of it.

8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Some of the scents from car guys worked for a friend of mine.
    Think you order online

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    One of the cab filters is behind the heater / fan on the passenger side and is REALLY difficult to change, recommend a shop for that one.

Mix up a solution of simple green and water, and wipe down the entire interior.

May even need new mattress(es).

10. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Pull the fuse panel on the right side yeah that big one. You will see the scotch brite looking filter there. Bottom left in the sleeper just below the bottom cabinet pop that off there is another filter in there. Then there is the one under the hood that is actually like a fram filter.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    FaBreeze works good. But as others said, you need to clean or replace all the filters and clean out the vents as best you can.

tscottme and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.