Citation Error on Ticket

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Blue333, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Blue333

Blue333 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I have a summons on my ticket for RD in personal vehicle. When pulled over, the officer ask for my DL, and he saw my CLP too. I think he mistook my CLP for an actual CDL, and put me down as a CDL holder on the summons. He got the vehicle info right, but what he didn't know was, the fact that I was still in trucking school. he pulled me over for crossing double yellow lines too soon into a middle lane, leading to a left turn, then moving back into the left lane. I just happened to be coming from the training area, when this happened. I need legal advice on this. Can I contest this in traffic court?

This happened in VA...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    As far as I understand, you’re treated as if your are a CDL holder once you obtain the CLP.

06driver Thanks this.
  4. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Nope just pay the ticket.

Carolina Cargo needs drivers too.

Drivingotr4life, Coover and jammer910Z Thank this.
  5. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    You have a permit you have a CDL.. with high restrictions to operate a vehicle that requires one..

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Legal advice?

Get a lawyer for that. BUT IF you want to fight it, then get in front of a judge and explain to him what you think and why you shouldn't be ticketed.

By the way that action with pulling into the left lane early is a pet peeve with me, I was rear ended when I was going into a business and the idiot decided he wanted to cut in front of all the other traffic and pulled into the left lane a 1/2 mile before the light, and was messing with his phone - BAM!! slammed into me at 30 mph.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  7. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    "messing with his phone" says it all.

ZVar Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I pull in to the left lane early all the time.

A lot of turns aren't long enough for semis and will leave your trailer hanging in the straight lane traffic.

PLUS. It keeps the idiots from going in to the lane before me. And taking up my space. And trying to cut around me.

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The OP was in his personal vehicle, no need to cross the yellow unless traffic is backed up. And I agree with prior posts, you are held to a CDL standard even with a CDL permit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.